1972 Olds 442 Ragtop (W30 Clone)

Spool'n Fool

Up for grabs is my nice and solid, older restoration 1972 Cutlass/442 Optioned Convertible. This convertible has most options: A/C, PS, PDB, PW, PDL, Cruise, and hood lock

It has a nice replaced frame with new body mounts, new top, new trunk pan, new stone shield (not installed), re-chromed rear bumper, new gas tank with gas sending unit and straps. The drivetrain is a 1970 455 4 bbl, TH350 with a 12 Bolt. The car has boxed lower control arms with polyurethane bushings and rear sway bar. The bushings on the front control arms were replaced at an earlier time. The Older restoration consisted of Frame replacement, the rear quarters were replaced with GM full quarters with the tag still on the driver side quarter, the doors skins were replaced with Year One 1/2 skins (still have tag on inside). The spoiler has 3 bolt mounts per pedestal, so it may be an original (can’t verify). The floors and rockers are very solid with the exception of a soft section above a cross brace by the back seats. It’s very hard to detect visually, but I know it’s there. The color combo of Yellow ext, Black top and Brown Bucket Seat Int is original.

The hood is a decent aftermarket fiberglass hood that has had some repair work done underneath in the mount areas.

If you know about 442’s, you know about 1972 when the 442 package became an option to the Cutlass like it was in 1964 thru 1967. Per 442.com FAQs:

"In '72,.. I don't believe there are any fake 442's, only Cutlasses with the 442 options added to them. Unless you consider a real 442 something that the factory put out, however many of the 442 options in '72 were dealer installed on regular Cutlass S models. Actually, the 442 model was dropped in '71. 1971 was the last year that Olds actually made a 442 model. In 1972 the 442 was just an option. So to recap if you see a '72 442, it's really a Cutlass S with the 442 option added, not a true 442 model car. You would actually refer to it as a Cutlass S with the 442 option. Which in most cases consisted of a suspension and stripe package. Other options were the OAI hood, 442 rear cut bumper. So, if you want to tell if the 442 option was added by the owner of dealer/factory just look very closely at the emblems, and other options and see if they were added correctly/professionally. That's it. OK."

Since I don’t have the original build sheet, I can’t tell if the option was installed by the factory, a dealer or a previous owner. Regardless, the car is the last year for the convertible in the 70’s and is lots of fun to drive. The car originally came with a 350 engine but now has the 455. The W30 tag is a cloned option for sure (I didn't do it).

The car is presently driven and I play with odds and ends here and there. It needs a few things to get it to be real nice.

I plan on finishing up a couple of items on it and throwing it on Ebay. If you have any serious interest in it for $14K, send me a PM and I can give more details..