1986 buick t type thoughts??

griz_83ho

Hi guys, I'm new to Turbo buicks and looking for some insight on a car I have come across. Its a 86 t type hardtop car with 69000 original miles. Has been sitting out for 6 years now so paint is checking and stained. Doors have a good amount of bubbling and should be replaced but besides that car body is rock solid. Floors/frame. Were undercoated and quarters are great. Interior is bucket seat and in beautiful shape. Owner said car was parked due to what he thinks was a blown head gasket, white smoke was coming out of exhaust. He said motor can have no more than 3k miles on rebuild with new speed pro pistons and heads were ported and polished.

So question is, what's the car worth?

In the used car business, and I have had a couple of them, you consider 3 major areas when purchasing a car.

First is paint and body, second is mechanical and how it runs, and third is interior. With issues on 2 of the 3 items, it is usually not a good deal. :(

Unless you have experience in turbo Buicks, the mechanical will cost you big time, and with some rust showing, another possibility of needing lots of unseen body repair, and of course a paint job.

A blown engine sitting for 6 years would usually need major $$$$ to get running proper, and unless you or someone that knows these cars, [built for only 2 years] you will find lots of unexpected gremlins. :confused:

I currently have a GN and a T-Type similar to what you describe, neither driven for 5 years or more, and not running with one needing major body and paint.

To get both these cars to the "nice driver stage" will be at least $5k each, and much of my labor or expertise is not included, not to mention to the many resources and specific parts I have available for these cars.

Both of these cars came to me from guys that thought this would be an easy, inexpensive project car for them, but fortunately they gave up early before they were buried in them. :D

My guess is you will be frustrated before you even get to drive this car, and never be happy with it.

x10 what Nick said.
Where are you located? There may be a board member that is local that might be able to give you a better perspective.

That's how I have been looking at it. Guy said if I give him 2500 I can pick it up. It does have a 8.5" posi under it as well

$2500 isn't a bad deal...I'm sure even if it was something you give up on you could get your money back out of it...

I don't think you can do any better than that. Sounds like a good price. Parts are worth that.

Its a clean title two owner car, and like I said beside bottom inside of doors the frame, floors, etc. Are still black from undercoating. Oil on dipstick looks basically new and engine bay is very clean. Also has some kind of Kenne bell set up on it wired in, new Hooker stainless exhaust (I guess 5 years old, when engine was built).

That's a deal. Where are you located? Maybe someone can help you look at it.

Zack

Located in Davenport, IA and actually going to pick it up today. Ill try to post a couple pics later

Just make sure it's truly an '86 with the intercooled engine. If it's an '85 or earlier, they aren't worth as much.

Here are a couple pics.

20130127_195531.jpg
20130127_195908.jpg
20130127_200115.jpg
20130127_195531.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm excited about it. Hope to pull the top end in the next couple weeks to see what I'm dealing with. Kind of random but what is a turbo Buick hood worth? Met a guy who has one in his garage and I could get it for 150.

Thanks guys, I'm excited about it. Hope to pull the top end in the next couple weeks to see what I'm dealing with. Kind of random but what is a turbo Buick hood worth? Met a guy who has one in his garage and I could get it for 150.
If it is nice that is a great price

Bryan

Hey guys been awhile but dug into the car this afternoon. Pulled intercooler and air intake and figured I would try to turn the motor over. Motor turned over nice and I checked I believe its called the turbo output shaft and found a lot of play in it, probably a 1/8 inch each way. So question is this, owner said motor was completely rebuilt 4 or 5 years ago and after about 3k miles he did a burn out and the car started puffing a lot of smoke so he drove it have and parked it. Question is could all the smoke be do to the turbo going out and not the head gasket? Tempted to put a rebuilt turbo on it and give her a try.

Sure could. Do a compression and leakdown test on engine first. Then prime the oil pump, you'll need an old Buick v6 distributor for the shaft. Try to hook up an oil pressure gauge also.