1987 Buick SkyHawk Turbo Hatch/Coupe?

TurboRegal84

Staff member
I was in the Junk Yard today, and I came across a 1987 Buick ShyHawk 2.0 Turbo Hatch/Coupe. The car looked pretty neat, and was close to complete. Does anyone have any information on these cars? I have never seen anything like it before.

From what I could gather it had a 2.0 Turbo Charged Engine, and a Black/Gray/Red Interior. Front wheel Drive...

If anyone is in need of parts just let me know!

A guy I work with has/had one for a beater. It had over 170,000mi and was a tough car. Not many on the road and interesting animal. Tiny little turbocharge and the thing scooted pretty well. Leave it to Buick....

One of the true VERY rare models of Turbo Buick. The Skyhawk hatchback was only made with a turbo from the middle of the model year in 86 and then in 87 with none built in 88. The 86 was with the 1.8 and the 87 was with the 2.0.

In 86 the turbo was an option, but not required, on the T Type.

In 87 you could order the T package and also the Turbo package as was available on the Regal. There were only 3,757 Sport Hatches built in 87 and the best guess is very few of them were optioned up to the T or the Turbo package.

So, I would think that was rare.

Curb weight is set at 2396 lbs and the motor at 165HP and 175 lb/ft torque. This is on quite low boost and timing. If you check out some "J" body sites you will find a few people having a bit of fun with these. There are ecm matches to swap out for more options. Just like the Regal, they respond to fuel, boost, air flow, and timing upgrades.

I wish seat like those had been available on the Regal.

I have a relative that still has a Red 87 in his garage in Indiana. He's been wanting to sell it for year. It's in very good shape and runs great for what it is!

anyone have any pics of one of these, i have never heard of it before. but it sounds pretty cool

Yep. That's Pontiac's little OHC four from South America. Neat looking package under the hood.

Hmmmm. Maybe I could drop one of those motors in my '97 Cavalier. My 2.2 looks idenical to the 2.0 N/A motors that came in the J bodies back then, so maybe it would work with little modification. Not sure if my tranny would hold up.

I thought about putting a little boost on my 2.2 to give the beater some pep, but the stock crappy PM rods can only handle 175hp. :rolleyes:

David,

It's a turbo Sunbird THAT I know for sure, and I believe it's a T-type too. Don't think it's a hatch though. I remember it being more like a coupe. I was thinking about buying it and having something to run when the local dragstrip has tuner nights for FWD cars. Would be quite the sleeper! :D

We raced it against my Uncle's 80 Vette and it killed it. Then we tried his TTA and it was slightly faster than the GTA. :eek: Not bad!

Here is a pic of the seats....They look just like Grand National Seats but appear to have more support, and are alot more solid!

Looks like they might me a direct bolt in for our cars!

The 87s came with the 2.0 OHC Brazilian motor. They use the same ECM as the Syclone and Typhoon, so mods are similiar. Stock, you cannot go over 12 lbs boost, else the ECM cuts off the fuel. Expect one in good running condition to be in the low 15s, high 14s. You can tune them to the high 13's (RUQWKNF), but then, the trannys and the bottom end don't hold together too well.

There is no intercooler, to add one requires a LOT of piping to get it out in front where it might be effective. SOme aftermarket companies made intercooler kits for a while, NO2 might be a better option.

They are prone to headgasket failures, if you beat on it, expect to replace it every 30-40K. Don't let it run on a milkshake, it will take out the cam in short order. They use TTY head bolts and require a hot retorque to be done right.

The 87 also got a water and oil cooled turbo, a nice addition over the 86 and prior oil cooled model.

Overall not a bad toy, not a race car without lots of dough, there are just better choices out there, IMHO.

Look here for pics of mine. The last few are when the kid that bought it from me redlined it a block from the house and scattered the block.

http://www.geocities.com/tjthorsonhome@sbcglobal.net/87sunbird.htm

DOTC Club

Here we have a member of the drove over the crank club,,,,,,,,in a Sunbird.

Now that is rarely seen here.

My buddy had a Sunbird GT hard top turbo back in highschool. It was a quick car but he had to get rid of it since he couldnt afford to fix the head when he cracked it.

I was also a member of the drove over the crank club, in my 84 TR. Spun the 4th bearing and bent the crank. I then had to drive it to the shop for the rebuild where it finally broke. I guess no oil will do that to you. :D

It is possible that the crank broke first.

When I bought the 83T Type, my first TR, the owner said his kid had been driving it and brought it home with a bad knock in the motor. I had it towed home, but did start it later and move it around in the driveway.

When I took the motor apart strange things happend. At first I just wondered what would cause the bearings on 3&4 to go. Things moved as I turned the crank over to remove the pistons and main caps. Then after I removed the main bolts, the center caps just lifted out.

And I could turn the front half of the crank while the back half stayed in place.

The crank was broken at the side of the third main. And it still ran. The break starved the rod bearings and they were toast. The break was on a slight angle and rough, so it stayed in rotation, but put force on the sides of the main webs which moved them around. Both the center mains were toast. And it still ran.

That was the start of my first TR rebuild. I ordered a reman from a local motor supply company. When I took it apart I found the pistons, rings, rods, and block were correct. The rest I replaced and reassembled it myself. I still came out ahead.

I still have the crank.