1993 Ford Exploder issues

My dad has a 93 ford explorer v6 and in recent years it has lost alot of power. It tops out at 80mph now and there is a horrible rattling in the engine when it gets under any sort of load. The car has 140000 miles and would like to get more out of it if possible. Could this rattling simply be from weak valve springs or something more serious, because it does sound like the valves. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Back in the mid 90's a guy at work had a 2.9L Bronco II that did what you are saying. It sounded like a diesel, only twice as loud with 1/4 the power. Sounds like the pushrods, which are total crap in that engine.

My buddy has a 92 or 94 exploder with the v6... his started slowly bogging down and running like crap until it would hardly get out of it's own way (I kept telling him, "hey, it's a ford whatd ya expect?!?") but he wouldn't listen.... LOL

turns out it was his maf sensor... amazing how much better it ran after that. Sounds more like yours is mechanical though.

Hard to do anything w/o being there and hearing it for myself

Without hearing it the problem would be very hard to diagnose. I would give it a compression test, then test for trouble codes. You may want to lift the valve covers and inspect the valve train. Could the rattling be severe pinging, maybe she is carboned up really bad. Check for a plugged conveter.

I wouldent doubt if it was pinging. It just sounds horrible. Now that you mention it when we put better grade fuel in like medium grade gas it seems to help with the noise. When i go back home for spring break I will give it a compression test.

Inneedofabuick said:
I wouldent doubt if it was pinging. It just sounds horrible. Now that you mention it when we put better grade fuel in like medium grade gas it seems to help with the noise. When i go back home for spring break I will give it a compression test.

Check that cat, it could be plugged up solid, pull it off and inspect. severe pinging can sound like the engine is coming apart. Enough of it and it will come apart. I have seen cars with combustion chambers that are completly carboned up acting in a similar way. What brand fuel are you using?

Since the noise has been going on a while and getting worse we started to only put 89 octane from cheveron about 5 months ago.Before that we just put regular in it since 93. He drives it to work every day 15 miles. The car has a cat on it thats barley a year old.

Thanks for your help
Matt

Exploder

Those Early 4.0 Explorers Have A Tendencie With That Kind Of Mileage To Stretch The Timing Chains. In The 96-2000 4.0 Explorer There Was Actually A M Program That Covered The Chains And Tenseniors Through 80000 Miles. They Have A Severe Rattling Sound That Only Gets Worse. The Best Thing To Do Is Go To A Ford Dealer Pay The $90 Diag And Know For Sure. I Write Service For A Ford Dealership In Kansas City, So I Have Seen It Before.