2 5/8" gauges ...

Red Regal T

I need to install an oil pressure and temp gauge in my newly acquired 87 T. I have the 2 1/16" gauges in my GN in a dual pod in front of the shifter. I'd really like to have 2 5/8" in my new T right there, under my radio pod. Has anyone installed these larger gauges somehow, and if so, how about some pics and advice. ;)

Attachments

• MAROON T-TYPE 008.jpg
    MAROON T-TYPE 008.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 185
This is what I want, but there isn't enough room. My Red T has no console. These are 2 5/8". But I just want to have two in my new T. Problems, Problems ... :(

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 173
Get out the SawZall.... :eek: :D

pebkac.jpg

These are in salvageV6, I used the tiny 2 1/6" in the GN. :p

Come to think of it I have 2 more little gauges in the pod in the WE4 too.

Plus 2 on the A pillar. :cool:

I get lots of people in pickup trucks reading the numbers to me at stop lights, especially at night. :rolleyes:

I don't think there's a good solution for what you want. :frown:

I welded up a bracket that bolts under the radio pod and has a leg that goes up next to the dash - it holds the 2 5/8 and does not block the vents - I'll take some pics but will have to e-mail them because they are always to big to post here.

Blown&Injected said:
I welded up a bracket that bolts under the radio pod and has a leg that goes up next to the dash - it holds the 2 5/8 and does not block the vents - I'll take some pics but will have to e-mail them because they are always to big to post here.

Kinda like this:
(not a good pic)

Attachments

• Buick T 111i.JPG
    Buick T 111i.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 142
Here is Steve's (blown & injected) installation ...

Attachments

• Picture 216.jpg
    Picture 216.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 151
I'm still thinking about under the radio pod. I don't want to drill holes for attachment into the console. I'm thinking of a plate, then attach the gages in cups as 441120 used, and attach the plate to the console in some way. Maybe double sided tape ... then again, I may just surrender and do the 2 1/16" with the double pod. Why isn't somebody bright enough to make a dual gauge pod for this location, under the radio, in 2 5/8"? :mad:

Here is a pic of a friend Troy's install. I liked it so much that I took some pics for later reference. I find if the gauges are too low, as they have been in a few of my previous cars, they can be a little difficult to glance at.

Autometer makes a two gauge 2 5/8" holder that should fit where you had the 2 1/6" gauges. I have mine mounted to the ashtray, but I don't have a console to contend with. Let us know how you made out.

My gages are mounted to the rail used for shelves from Home Depot. You know the "u" shaped channels that mount to the wall, and have slots that the shelf bracket hooks into. Drilled no holes in the car, bracket mounts using existing holes under the radio. I cut the channel and bent it 90* gage cups screw into the slots, no damage to the car.

Similar to SalvageV6's setup...but no visible cutting and you can put the original dash plate back in without anyone knowing you did anything.

2 5/8" guages throughout for me. Plate was picked up from Mark @ buickgn.com

Can't remember where I got the A-pillar...but common.

Anyway, you can fit everything without too much fuss, but it is tight with the larger guages.

Mark

...not sure how to attach a viewable pic as above, so you'll have to use the links :(

Attachments

• gauges.JPG
    gauges.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 78
  • gauges2.JPG
    gauges2.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 82
I hated to, but I have surrendered. :rolleyes: Ordered two 2 1/16" gauges and the dual pod for under the radio. If somebody ever comes up with a brainstorm and simply manufactures a 2 5/8" gauge pod for under the radio, I'll just change over. For you guys, Salvage and Maltman, who used the panel over the glove box, on the passenger side, I noticed that Jegs sells spacers for 2 5/8" gauges that angles the gauge, just in case you didn't know.

They're big enough so you don't need to angle them. :)

And if you did try to, the last one and perhaps the others wouldn't fit, assuming you want to keep the end A/C duct working.

I thought about angling them as well, my plate is 1/4" thick alum. and moves them outwards some also, works fine and is why I put the volts gauge on the end easy to glance at all of them while driving, not so easy while racing but I just look at the track mostly.

It's hard to fit (5) full sized gauges in that available space, angling wouldn't work out so well for me.