2004R Upgrades - Servo Install Issues

deacon07

I'm working on updating the servo on a 2004R that I have. Problem is the shaft that everything fits on sticks out too far now. I've seen where guys say you have to grind down the shaft, but I can't even get the old servo on now.

Do I have to have the valve body of to do this swap? I might take a few pics of what I have tomorrow and make sure I'm including everything that's supposed to be in there for the servo.

Its a superior servo if that helps.

I'm so agitated right now, esp. Because I sent a retaining ring flying throughout my garage tonight. Regarding that snap ring, I messed up low/reverse boost valve because it got stuck so I have to order a new one, but are there any tips to getting that whole mess installed easily. I've been fight with it for about 4 hrs now and it keeps getting stuck.

Next question is I swapped the oil pump from a 10 vane to a 13 vane is that too much? I thought it was a 7 vane so I ordered the 13 but now I'm questioning if it's too much.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.​

Next question is I swapped the oil pump from a 10 vane to a 13 vane is that too much? I thought it was a 7 vane so I ordered the 13 but now I'm questioning if it's too much.​
Do not run a 13 vane ever, I suggest using a 7 vane if you can get one. If not, stick with the 10 vane.

I'm working on updating the servo on a 2004R that I have. Problem is the shaft that everything fits on sticks out too far now. I've seen where guys say you have to grind down the shaft, but I can't even get the old servo on now.​

You are not catching the band correctly. The pin is pushing on the wrong part of the band. You will need to push the band around the drum by pushing a screwdriver between the band and case. It will take a lot of force to get the servo installed.

Thanks guys for your help. I'll revert back to the 10 vane, and take a look at the servo opening tonight. The pin is hitting something when i try top put it in, is that the band that needs to be pushed back? There's a seat on that piece for the pin to rest on? So i need to use a pry bar to get it forced in there?

It seemed that every site was pushing for a ten or thirteen vane so i got the 13.

I'd be more concerned with the hard rings for the pump. I went with the stock 7 vane. Also I put in a heavy slide spring.
I put a long screwdriver in the other side to push the band around and get the pin into its bracket on the band. I had it upside down on an engine stand, before the valve body is put on.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Finally got the servo in. Trimmed the pin a little and realized that the band was catching so i just needed to lift it up from the other side and it lined up correctly.

Hard rings? The ones on either side of the ten vane plate?

One last question, the little black plastic pin, does that go with the orange pin in that slot?

You guys have been so helpful, I really appreciate it.

Yes, the rings hold the vanes to the out side of the slide.
Are you talking about the "seal" on the slide?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Yeah, the seal is the orange piece but then there's the slide seal support, which is the black piece. They need to be wedged in there together? It was really tight and I was afraid I'd ruin the seal.

Yeah, the seal is the orange piece but then there's the slide seal support, which is the black piece. They need to be wedged in there together? It was really tight and I was afraid I'd ruin the seal.
Install the seal before you put the pivot pin in.

Install the seal before you put the pivot pin in.

X2
Then drop the pivot spring in the hole below the pivot pin, with a prybar/screw driver(maybe with a rag on the end) pry the slide over to drop the pivot pin. At least that's what I did.

Ok, I'll give that a shot. Next thing is I'm really having issues with the reverse boost valve and the reverse boost valve bushing. Do both of then have to move"slide in the pump cover? I'm really having issues getting everything to slide. When i get the tv boost valve bushing against the snap ring is it supposed to slide as well?

I'm so frustrated with this thing, I'm about to buy a new pump.

Not sure what you mean by slide. The spring, then rev boost, then the boost valve goes in if I remember right. Are you not able to get the snap ring into the groove? Are you lubing the pieces up when installing them? Whose parts are you using?

Yeah, lubing everything. So the two valves are meant to move via the spring but the two bushings do not? I got the snap ring on once, but the bushing being held in didn't move so i thought i did it wrong.

Using the ck shift kit items.

Mine didn't move in much once I got the snap ring on there. It was a wrastlin match to get it in there. I used a big screw driver to push the components in with the snap ring around the screwdriver on the snap ring pliers so I could hold the components in while snapping the ring into its slot. I had the pump up against something heavy so it couldn't move while pushing the pieces in.

Are you sure you have everything going in the correct direction and where it is suppose to be. I dropped the spring then the two part rev boost, then the boost valve with the inner piece stuck in with trans gel to keep it in there.

Yeah everything is going in correctly, i guess i just thought the bushings needed to slide too, not just the two inner pieces

Ok, got everything in. The inner pieces seem to slide ok. Got the pump put back in and torqued down. Now i just have to find some time to do the actual swap and see how if everything works.

Thanks for all the help

so i put air down through the port for the servo, and i see the band move, but it doesn't grab enough to stop it from spinning. I'm really not getting a good seal with the air. If I push the servo in, it locks the band and the shaft will not spin. Do you think I trimmed the servo pin down too far?

I'm putting 60 psi down there, but like I said I can't get a seal. Should I go get a piece of tubing to seal the pressure?

I don't understand why "they" push the 13 vane pump . The 7 has more volume . Running Flowmasters and headers , who can hear pump buzz ? :D

so i put air down through the port for the servo, and i see the band move, but it doesn't grab enough to stop it from spinning. I'm really not getting a good seal with the air. If I push the servo in, it locks the band and the shaft will not spin. Do you think I trimmed the servo pin down too far?

I'm putting 60 psi down there, but like I said I can't get a seal. Should I go get a piece of tubing to seal the pressure?
Are you using a rubber tipped blow gun? I got a cheap kit at hf with that attachment among others. Mine locks down with air and spins with out.
How much are you pushing the servo in. Shouldn't take much (.060" or so is what mine is) according to Mr Husek though he sez it is different depending on the band material. Needs set up tight for a good shift according to the gurus. I put it together with out springs n seals to get a measurement. Adjusted the pin length and then assembled with needed parts.