2004r with deep pan and 7004r filter trick?

Can someone verify that you can do the 7004r filter on a 2004r tranny with a deep pan?

I think Chris from CK performance told me this, but cant remember the specifics exactly.

Anyone know the specifics? What pan is needed? Part number for the filter? Or is it just any 7004r filter?

Thanks

Craig

Can someone verify that you can do the 7004r filter on a 2004r tranny with a deep pan?

I think Chris from CK performance told me this, but cant remember the specifics exactly.

Anyone know the specifics? What pan is needed? Part number for the filter? Or is it just any 7004r filter?

Thanks

Craig

1989 chevy k 1500 with 5.7 motor is what i used. if you have an art carr pan you will have to remover the stands in the bottom of pan

Thanks

Craig

I just did it to my GN and its been working great. Used a Art Carr pan and a 700r4 filter from a 89 IROC Camaro I think it was. But any pre-93 chevy 700r4 filter will work. I do believe CK makes a sump extension kit which allows the use of the stock pan with the 700r4 filter. Personally I got the deep pan because more fluid is never a bad thing.

1989 chevy k 1500 with 5.7 motor is what i used. if you have an art carr pan you will have to remover the stands in the bottom of pan

Correct. Not hard to do just take you time. I painted and clearcoated my pan before I installed it.

Thanks everyone. After searching a couple different times with different keywords, I found that Arizona GN has a hughes deep pan to use a 7004r filter. Anyone know if they come with the filter or you have to buy that separate?

Summit racing also has the Hughes deep pan with a filter included. Doesnt say what filter type is included though. Summits is 20 bucks more.

Thoughts?

Thanks for all the help everyone. Greatly appreciated.

700 filter and stock pan

You can make a stock pan work with a 700 filter. You just need to cut 1/4 in. off each end of the 1/4 in. tubing and put some heat shrink on 4th gear pressure switch. It's not brain surgery.

If you want to use the stock pan Chris has a spacer that will allow you to use the 700R4 filter. He put it on sale a while ago and I got it for later. Cheapest thing out there and it converts it to botom feed so you can use the stock pan.

Thanks everyone. After searching a couple different times with different keywords, I found that Arizona GN has a hughes deep pan to use a 7004r filter. Anyone know if they come with the filter or you have to buy that separate?

Summit racing also has the Hughes deep pan with a filter included. Doesnt say what filter type is included though. Summits is 20 bucks more.

Thoughts?

Thanks for all the help everyone. Greatly appreciated.

How much is shipping from Arizona compared to Summit?

You can make a stock pan work with a 700 filter. You just need to cut 1/4 in. off each end of the 1/4 in. tubing and put some heat shrink on 4th gear pressure switch. It's not brain surgery.

Old trick that works... dont need aftermarket double rolling deep sump interverter valve spring extenders.

Maybe just a typo but "No Thanks" is designed for when your out to dinner and the waitress asks you if you want friggun desert....unless you want desert.

Not when your on the board asking for input, ideas and old tricks

AC Delco part# 8657926 is the one I have used in the past. Not sure what brand Bison put in when he recently freshened up my trans. Biggest hassle is you still need to buy 2004r pan gaskets. I just bought a package of them from GM so I didn't have to buy 2004r filters too.

AC Delco part# 8657926 is the one I have used in the past. Not sure what brand Bison put in when he recently freshened up my trans. Biggest hassle is you still need to buy 2004r pan gaskets. I just bought a package of them from GM so I didn't have to buy 2004r filters too.

I use cork and neoprene fiber gaskets. They seem to hold torque better than older style gaskets and resist squeezing out when being torqued down.

Zero class huh? lol

No thanks means that I would rather not do a hack job, cutting this shortening that to make something work. Yes, from the responses, it works, but really not the route I would like to go. I like nice clean bolt in pieces. Not things I have to modify and worry about in the back of my mind as I drive down the road.

Of course I guess I could have gone really low class and just said ****that****. :)

I seriously appreciate the advice for everything, including the ideas for cutting down the the filter tube from Lot.

I dont know the pan shipping costs. Need to check that out. I am going to go with the deep pan and 7004r filter. This was the info I was looking for and it is now verified.

Thank you all for the help.

Not sure what your thinking is a hack job....

Use an AC-700-R4 with the original O-ring as well as the one that comes with the new filter. to prevent the filter from shorting out the 4th gear switch.. a small piece of rubber hose slipped over the connector that goes to that switch will prevent the short, zip tie it... yes during install the filter will hit the pan but will pull up with enough clearance.

Once again an old trick used by many long before must have replacement goodies

Thanks for the info.

I guess maybe I was a little harsh in saying hack job.

Can you explain the cutting 1/4" off each end of the tube better? I guess thats the part I am uneasy about. Is it that you cut off each end and use the 2004r o-ring on one end and the 7004r o-ring on the other end to "seal" the cuts?

Is the filter a 2 piece unit? The filter and the tube? Thats the only way it would make sense to me without actually ever seeing a 7004r filter in person.

When dealing with filters and the all important fluids, I was never one who liked the idea of "cutting corners". But I guess if its proven.....

I guess maybe I was a little harsh in saying hack job.

Can you explain the cutting 1/4" off each end of the tube better? I guess thats the part I am uneasy about. Is it that you cut off each end and use the 2004r o-ring on one end and the 7004r o-ring on the other end to "seal" the cuts?

Is the filter a 2 piece unit? The filter and the tube? Thats the only way it would make sense to me without actually ever seeing a 7004r filter in person.

When dealing with filters and the all important fluids, I was never one who liked the idea of "cutting corners". But I guess if its proven.....

This has been done for as long as I have been building these transmissions. You cut both end of the tube 1/4 inch to make it sit closer to the valve body so the filter can fit correctly. You need to isolate the fourth gear pressure switch as the filter touches it and keeps it grounded. Not a big deal, an easy fix as explained above

The Hughes pan comes with the 700-r4 filter in the kit. It has everything needed to install. It’s a nice pan. I have plenty of stock if you are in need of one. If you are unsure how to do the mod, give me a call anytime and I will explain it in detail...

Picture of a 700-r4 filter
700-r4.jpg
<O:p

Hunter, you must be a newby to hotrodding.:biggrin: There are few true "bolt-ons" in this hobby. Most things need a little "tweaking", "persuading" or "massaging" to make them perfect for a particular application.

It's just one of those things we all have to deal with in order to obtain the results we desire. Hotrodding is more of an art form than an exact science.

(Ever try to hang a new fender or door on a GM car? If it wasn't for the invention of shims, GM would have been out of business decades ago.);)

Lol nope. Not new to hot rodding. I just like clean installs. I spent many a year hacking cars when I was 16-20 because I didnt have the money to do it right.

So now when I do something I like to try to do it the best way possible, or as good as I can possibly afford. :)

Just did the Hughes pan from Summit on my Janis 200. Comes with the 700 filter. Vince uses a 2nd rubber gasket in the filter tube area of the valve body. For what reason, I am not sure, but when we were installing, we noticed a blue rubber gasket in there already, we called him and he said leave it in there.

Hope this helps
Coach