200r(brf) vs 200r from regal limited v8

jessecool

I am currently running a 200r from a regal limited v8 with a D5 TC...and i am having laggy shifts under boost...is there a major difference between the two transmissions? or could this be a torque converter issue.

If it's from a V8 car it's either a KTF or KCF. The shift timing will be off. Those transmissions are for smaller gears plus have a smaller intermediate servo.

you hit it on the head...boost spools but no power...then after shift it pulls hard........what are my options to dial this tranny in?.(BRF) valve body..new billet servo?

You will need a BRF valvebody and governor and you should replace the intermediate servo with one from a BRF trans or go with one of the billet servos...Superior...CK's...

Plus that will more than likely have a .421" throttle valve in the pump and not enough line pressure to hold it together. You will need the Int/Rev boost valve as well so Reverse and your M1 and M2 pressures don't suffer. If you have an early model (pre 85) you won't have a hardened sun shell from the factory.

this one is an 86, so i might be lucky with the hardened shell.. I also seen that gbody parts have a shift recalibration kit with billet servo for 249$ ....i have a local friend who has been doing trannys for years. but isnt familiar with the special requirements for a GN. If anyone has a simple list of parts to aquire...i can round them up and have him work his magic...thanks guys

this info would be useful to me, as well. i've had a trans from a 307 powered Caprice in my car since it blew the stocker up at the track in the spring of '05 and it does exactly the same things as the OP..

The critical components are the vb, governor, servo, and boost valves in the pump. Without these you have a non high performance calibration. Any of the good recalibration kits have the boost valves and servos are available. CK sells a recalibration with a servo. I have a good supply of vb's. I have a few governors. I can supply stock servos also. PM if interested If the trans is out there are a few other area to check but not worth chasing unless the trans will be torn down.

Don't forget to put the correct BRF wiring/switches in it as well. 3rd gear pressure switch signal affects timing in most chips, without it you might be chasing knock issues when it hits 3rd.

Well i picked up a low mile brf gn tranny 200$...but the pump stator shaft looks pretty worn...So i ordered a (hardened stator shaft,front and rear new seals, as well as a filter and gasket kit...is there anything else i should replace while i have the pump out?

Am I right in assuming the 3rd gear pressure switch on the BRF's just tells the computer in the turbo cars what to do - timing , etc . Does it also lock the converter ?

stovebolt 34 said:
Am I right in assuming the 3rd gear pressure switch on the BRF's just tells the computer in the turbo cars what to do - timing , etc . Does it also lock the converter ?

The stock chip and other early chips use the pressure switches for timing/boost. The newer chips use the VSS for this so it isn't critical. I just did a transmission for a customer and the 3rd pressure switch was deleted by someone prior. Chances are it was done sometime in the 90's based on what else I saw when takingnit apart. There is no reason to assume any of that is working properly in any car you didnt own since it was new.