200r4 Lockup Clutch won't engage

cellblock_g

I have a 1985 Buick Lesabre, 307 V8. I noticed recently the lockup is not engaging on the torque converter at all, in 3rd or 4th. I replaced the solenoid two years ago due to it engaging too early. Very little miles on car since then, with clean fluid.

Is there anything (other than signal from the Computer) that controls lockup? The TV cable is in good shape and adjusted correctly. Upshifts are smooth as silk , though I am now terrified to drive the car over 45 MPH, and scared of how much damage I may have done already. I am also not getting a check engine light (which should come on with cars that have a computer if the lockup doesn't work)

I hate to think that a new solenoid failed already after less than 2 years and a few thousand miles... Any ideas?

If I try a new solenoid, am I better off trying to find a genuine GM one vs aftermarket?

Check fuses and brake switch. The power for the solenoid goes through the brake switch. Also check to see if it locks up when you connect "A" to "F" on your ALDL connector.

Check fuses and brake switch. The power for the solenoid goes through the brake switch. Also check to see if it locks up when you connect "A" to "F" on your ALDL connector.
If the brake switch is bad is it still possible for my brake lights to work?

If the brake switch is bad is it still possible for my brake lights to work?
Yes. The brake lights are on a different set of contacts on the switch. The best way to tell if you have power going down to the solenoid is check to see if you have power on terminal "F" on your ALDL connector. If you don't check fuses and brake switch. If you do the problem is the solenoid or something internal to the trans.

Yes. The brake lights are on a different set of contacts on the switch. The best way to tell if you have power going down to the solenoid is check to see if you have power on terminal "F" on your ALDL connector. If you don't check fuses and brake switch. If you do the problem is the solenoid or something internal to the trans.

Ok I ran a wire from A to F, the lockup engaged instantly when it shifted to 2nd at 15 MPH (not supposed to come on till about 45 MPH on this car in 3rd or 4th) , and lockup released the instant I pulled out the wire.

2 years ago I had a problem with the solenoid locking instantly in 2nd (like it did tonight when I wired A to F), replaced the solenoid and all was kosher until a few weeks ago.

According to fuse diagram in owners manual the only fuse that controls the TCC is a 20 AMP at the bottom of the panel, and it also control gages, VSS, and many other things. that fuse is good.

On a side note code 32 is also stored in the ECM, whatever that means.

If the converter locks when you tie A to F that means all the electrical is good which would indicate the computer is not commanding the lockup. Assuming your VSS is working the problem is either the computer or the connection to the computer. Code 32 on a carbed Olds 307 v8 is the barometer. Should have no affect on the TCC.

If the converter locks when you tie A to F that means all the electrical is good which would indicate the computer is not commanding the lockup. Assuming your VSS is working the problem is either the computer or the connection to the computer. Code 32 on a carbed Olds 307 v8 is the barometer. Should have no affect on the TCC.

Any idea where the VSS is on this thing?

Not sure on a Lesabre. The buffer is usually located behind the dash to the right of the steering column. If you are not getting a code 24 then I would assume the VSS is working.

What puzzles me is I am not getting ANY codes, yet it will lock up when I hardwire it through the OBD connector.

Ok I ran a wire from A to F, the lockup engaged instantly when it shifted to 2nd at 15 MPH (not supposed to come on till about 45 MPH on this car in 3rd or 4th) , and lockup released the instant I pulled out the wire.

2 years ago I had a problem with the solenoid locking instantly in 2nd (like it did tonight when I wired A to F), replaced the solenoid and all was kosher until a few weeks ago.

According to fuse diagram in owners manual the only fuse that controls the TCC is a 20 AMP at the bottom of the panel, and it also control gages, VSS, and many other things. that fuse is good.

On a side note code 32 is also stored in the ECM, whatever that means.

where is the solenoid referenced above located at? I have a friend with the the same issue now where his tranny on his GN is locking up in second.

thanks,

Dennis

where is the solenoid referenced above located at? I have a friend with the the same issue now where his tranny on his GN is locking up in second.

thanks,

Dennis
It's located inside the transmission. It's easy to replace. Drop the pan on the transmission. It's located in the front right corner of the transmission near the T.V. cable. It's held in with two 10mm bolts if it's the stock one. Remove the bolts and the solenoid pulls out. You will have to splice the wiring in to the new one. Be careful of the polarity of the wiring. There is a diode internal to the solenoid.

1985 Buick L eSabre here...So there are two switches on the back of my brake pedal, that thread into a metal bracket. The lower one has a white and orange wire going to it. The upper one has 1 purple and one pink wire going to it. Which one controls the TCC lockup?

Computer is also throwing code 41 now, Electronic Spark Control Circuit failure or some such thing, Car is running fine and should be unrelated to trans I think.