200r4 Pressure problems

MrScary666

i did a search and couldn't really find what I was looking for. My trans has been reassembled it's a pts extreme with approximately 100 miles on it. It flares while shifting and searches gears while driving. It has a non lockup 3400 billet converter and some good internals. I put a pressure gauge on it and at idle I'm reading around 200 psi in all gears. I can pull the tv cable while idling and the pressure shoots to 300 pretty quick. When I drive while in od d 2 1 the pressure under 1/4 throttle just plummets to 100 and looks like it could go further. The guy who built it was pretty reputable around the metro Detroit area and said he didn't know what kit it had from pts but put it together the best he could.

If it is "flaring" when shifting I would have to think the direct clutches and band weren't setup well. With that much pressure it should "hit" pretty hard even with the high stall imo.
I'm thinking you have a "sticky" tv valve that isn't returning but gets back there while you are driving. Hence the pressure going down. Does it start out in second? How far have you driven it so far?
I would have it running, disconnect the tv from the throttle body and give it some sharp pulls. This might dislodge debris in the vb and tv valve and see if that helps.
Have you contacted the builder to see what he thinks of the situation?

The builder hopefully will get back to me soon, as it was done through a 3rd party here in metro Detroit. I only drove it to break in the trans approximately 200 miles and parked it because it was not working properly. While driving the pressure plummets rapidly in all gears, so I hope it isn't an internal thing. I am going to drop the pan this weekend and put a virgin valve body and spacer plate and see where I am at. I don't know if it will do any good though if it is the pressure valve. It wont hit hard because the pressure is at like 90psi when shifting.

I was actually thinking of grabbing up a CK shift kit and putting the virgin valve body in it.

Last edited:
Some thing is wrong. Have you tried a pm to member WE4 on this board to see what he thinks. If anyone would know how to fix a pts extreme it would be him.