206/206 Weber Roller Users..LOUD Ticking Noise??? HELP!!!

Vader 87

Licensed
I stood on my car today and when i let off my scanmaster was showing some retard even though my rpms were lowering, boost was 23 psi with C16 in the tank.....i then noticed a loud ticking noise....i drove the car back home under light throttle and popped off the passengers side valve cover since thats where the noise was coming from.....now, with the cover off i hear a hollow type of sound....the rocker shaft and arms look ok....i run a Weber roller 206/206 cam and associated valve train....theres definitely something rattling around in there....anybody have any tricks i could try to figure out what this is? I have already tried unplugging each plug wire to see if the noise went away and it did not.....i also tried putting pressure down on the bottom of each rocker to try and relieve some pressure and the noise still stayed....any ideas?

For what its worth, these cams sound like sewing machines and the ticking noise sounds similar only about 3 times as loud....however, with the cover off i now hear a hollow sort of sound that is there but not consistent.

TIA!
Jason Mizell

Jason,
I had a similar problem. The noise was as you are describing. One day while driving, it started to show knock on deceleration. Turned out to be 2 broken damper (inner) valve springs. I saw that while taking a blow gun, and blowing oil out of where I was working.
Brian

i looked at the damper but theyre kinda hard to see.....ill have to take some things apart to get a good look....anybody else?

I had a similar noise only mine would also get really loud intermitantly... it had a steady tap and then every so often it would rap really loud a couple times here or a few times there. In my case it was one of the roller lifter braces had fallen off which allowed the lifter to spin in its bore and tear up my roller cam:( . Hopefully that is not it in your case but pulling off the intake would be suggested if nothing else is found.

I think its something topend either way....now my car is totally dead for some strange reason, i tried to crank it up to listen to it and its like its in drive or something....i dont even get a click out of the starter....battery is a 3 day old optima so thats not it....i guess sometimes you can't catch a break for nothing.:rolleyes: