26X10's or 28X10's slicks

TURBOV6

"SECRET PARTS"
Staff member
26X10's or 28X9s slicks

For the amount of ft/lbs of torque my GN is putting out would it be better with a taller tire with stock gears?

It depends on how fast you want to go. If you are running less than 112-113 then the 26" tire is about right. From 112-113 up, you need a taller tire due to the rpms you are crossing the line at. I'm running 114 on pump gas, and I need to step up to a 28" tire. With the 275 nittos, I am crossing the line at 5300-5400 rpm.

26 or 28??

TV-6. Your MPH indicates you should be in the hi 11's. The 60' time indicates you need some SERIOUS traction improvement.[now over 2.0] W/ that much torque, good suspension and tires, a 60' time in the 1.60 flat area is attainable, and should put the car near 11.90.

I would leave the engine alone for now, and go to work on the suspension and add the 28" tires. Do 1 change at a time and see where it gets you. Don't forget to look at the ft susp too.;)

Re: 26 or 28??

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
TV-6. Your MPH indicates you should be in the hi 11's. The 60' time indicates you need some SERIOUS traction improvement.[now over 2.0] W/ that much torque, good suspension and tires, a 60' time in the 1.60 flat area is attainable, and should put the car near 11.90.

I would leave the engine alone for now, and go to work on the suspension and add the 28" tires. Do 1 change at a time and see where it gets you. Don't forget to look at the ft susp too.;)

My 60ft use to be around 2.0 without the V4 now with more power I gained a few more mph's but the 60ft went up. I will have to stop making more power out of the motor and will work on the suspension. I got a set of new front ceramic pads, s-10 wheel cylinders and the bigger shoes for the rear and still deciding on what brands and size for the slicks.

What will I gain with 28" slicks?

Depending on what rim you are using, a MT ET drag 28x9 (which is really only 27" tall) would be a decent choice for you. That should also give you an extra mph or two.

Originally posted by c&cgn
Depending on what rim you are using, a MT ET drag 28x9 (which is really only 27" tall) would be a decent choice for you. That should also give you an extra mph or two.

Its will probally be on a 15x8 Weld's.

If you can wait, a buddy is trying a new pair of 9x28's (from his 10x26's) this weekend and I can post the differences..
He normally runs 112-114 with a stock combo so the results should be comparable..

ks:confused:

Any updates for me? If I go with the 26 x 10's would the 8" rim be not wide enough? A 10" with tire reccomends a 9" rim.

I didn't have time to reply to this thread last time I read it but now that it is back to the top, here is my $.02

I really like the Hoosier 27" Quick Time Pro. They will pick up your mph, provide a larger foot print than a 26" tire, and not drop a car with a stock or close to stock cam out of its useable power band. They are DOT but are basically slicks with 2 grooves cut in them. They are awesome on the street and I sixty 1.60 with them on the Ltd and mid to low 1.5 with the GN. They fit great with an 8" wheel and 4" back space. Fill the wheel well perfectly. The size I run is 27 X 11.5 - 15LT. And I don't use tubes.

Hank

Originally posted by TurboV6
Any updates for me? If I go with the 26 x 10's would the 8" rim be not wide enough? A 10" with tire reccomends a 9" rim.

I know he went racing so I'll call him today. An 8" rim will be fine, that's what I use..

ks

I am also curious about tire size. I now have 26/10/15 MT mounted. I got a pair of 28/10.5/15 MT in my pole barn. I'm turning 112mph @22lbs and would like to turn up the boost to about 24-26lbs. Would the 28's help my E.T. or mph? Thanks, Dave also.......SMC rocks!!!!!!:cool:

I think at your current level you would benifit from the 28"s and even more so with more boost.

My mph is still kinda low with my 26's right now although I have a few things to try before moving to a 28". I'd like to run at least 112 with the 26's before switching..

ks:cool:

So Kevins
Will I loose anything staying w/ the 26's? I'd like to know because there is grudge match racing this Fri. night. I plan on crankin the boost up. But, if I can gain even more w/ a tire change I'll change them A.S.A.P. Thanks, Dave

Originally posted by grey1
So Kevins
Will I loose anything staying w/ the 26's? I'd like to know because there is grudge match racing this Fri. night. I plan on crankin the boost up. But, if I can gain even more w/ a tire change I'll change them A.S.A.P. Thanks, Dave

You might gain something with the 28's but the 26's are not hurting you that much. You don't need to kill yourself trying to get the 28's on the car. If you can, great, if not, don't worry about it.

I ran the 26's to 117mph before I switched over to the 28's. On the only bonsai pass I made with them I did not gain any mph. I ended the run with almost the exact same mph as my previous run with the 26's, although my 60' time went from 1.61 to 1.55 which accounts for some of the mph.

i wouldnt beat yourself over the head with this. a 26" slick is for what you have. geez i went 116 mph on 25" nittos with a stock cam. i also know my 26" et streets are a full inch wider than my 28" et streets.