273 cu. in.

Sounds awesome! I built a 4.1 60 over with a BB 70 on it. Amazing! Can you please explain the converter?
It started life as a 9.5" Vigilante 5 disc and has been modified by Dave with the same set-up he uses in his 9.5" 3521 converter. I didn't realize how much power was being spun away with the Vig until I drove this thing for the first time. The car accelerates much faster than it ever did before while making much less power. It puts the power to the tires instead of letting it spin away. At 12 lbs of boost,the car accelerates much faster than it used to at 28 lbs. I believe this car would be slower than it was with the 235" engine if I hadn't changed the converter because the extra torque would just blow through the converter even more than it used to.

lol, I got that term from street outlaws when they refer to doc's motor. My motor is 260ci, 3.84" with 3.74" stroke. I love the extra displacement driving around town over a 232ci motor. I'm running a s366 on mine with 88ar t4 and 73/80mm turbine and it doesn't light off anything like yours. Watching your video makes me jealous lol.
The first time I heard that term was in the early 80s. NHRA had a limit of 500 cu. in. in pro stock,but IHRA did not. I remember Ricky Smith running his 700 cu. in. engines in IHRA pro stock back then and they were referred to as mountain motors.

Last edited:
What cam is in yours? I don't think .85 ar upgrade is going to make any difference in spool with a p-trim. You're probably building boost now with 2600rpm?

What cam is in yours? I don't think .85 ar upgrade is going to make any difference in spool with a p-trim. You're probably building boost now with 2600rpm?
218/218 .571" lift fast ramp roller from Dave Husek with 1.6/1 rockers. The .85 housing will certainly make a difference. It will spool slower and the lesser amount of restriction will allow more power production upstairs. Judging from the video that Undercover87T provided,it looks like spool would be acceptable. If I leave with zero boost with my current set-up,the tires loose traction in about 5'. I do like the way the throttle responds during everyday normal driving. My next step will be drive shaft,tires,and different rear suspension geometry via the upper control arms and forward relocation brackets for them that KEVINS offers.

Last edited:
Type6. Thanks for the info. I have a 9.5 7 disc lock and I feel I'm loosing power and looking for an upgrade. Sounds like I have to talk to Dave about a tune up on the old convertor.

If I leave with zero boost with my current set-up,the tires loose traction in about 5'.
now work the suspension/weight transfer and put a real good tire on the back and you would be able to apply more power to the ground without losing traction.i like how soon your car comes up on boost.

It will spool slower and the lesser amount of restriction will allow more power production upstairs.
that's the theory;)more ex gas volumne and rpm is needed for the bigger ar, its a balance between spool time and flow and with our cars we don't have a lot of rpm/cubes to play with.

now work the suspension/weight transfer and put a real good tire on the back and you would be able to apply more power to the ground without losing traction.i like how soon your car comes up on boost.
I've been wanting to change the rear geometry for a few years and switch to a taller tire. Those two things will net a great deal of improvement in traction. The car is much more spirited during everyday driving and I like it a lot.

Type6. Thanks for the info. I have a 9.5 7 disc lock and I feel I'm loosing power and looking for an upgrade. Sounds like I have to talk to Dave about a tune up on the old convertor.
If you data log,you'll see a great difference in acceleration. If you don't data log,you'll easily feel the difference.