2nd track outing w/ carnage pics

Dusty Bradford

I hit the track again yesterday. The only change was I stepped up from the 3400 chip to a 3800 chip on the transbrake. I left on 8psi and car responded with a 1.41 60' and ran a 5.83 at 123.5. I lost the alternator belt after half track. Next pass after reviewing the log I took a little fuel out and tried it again hoping to pick up some mph since it was fat on the high side. The car spun a bit when the boost came in. 1.47 60' with a 5.88 at 122.2.

Both runs were with the boost creeping to 23.5 and 21.5 on the timing. First pass a/f was in the 9.3 range, second pass it was closer to 10.6

I had been getting a high rpm breakup which I thought was due to the rich tune and the alternator belt coming off so I keep shortshifting at 6000 rpm compared to the 7200 or so it needs to turn to keep the belt on. Well the problem found me and here are the pics for you guys with distributors. The 2 screws holding the rotor to the distributor backed out, the rotor came loose and jammed one of the screws through the cap. While it did this it spun the distributor on the intake stretching some plug wires and yanking the cam sync plug out of the harness. Nothing major thankfully. I just had the distributor out a few days earlier so it only had about 45 minutes of run time and two 1/8 passes on it when it happened. At least I found my high rpm breakup since the rotor had to be moving around. Those two screws will get loc-tite from now on and be checked.

Cal, I am getting data and will shoot you the two logs along with the latest .gct for a peek. It's coming along nicely but I'm taking baby steps until I get a handle on the XFI. Thanks for all the help. I couldn't have got this far so fast without it.

I have to thank some of my boys who help me at the track to. Chad Sims, Russell Hunt, Chris and Dane Hogeland, Todd(black sheep on here). When I had trouble yesterday they jumped on the thing like some pit crew, all I could do was stand and watch. That was nice for a change :biggrin: I'm having a great time with the car. It's weird though seeing the pit's clean out when I start the car, they seem to run to the bleachers for some reason ;)

I have some things to work on before I turn it up any more. I need some 5/8 studs on the axles and need to get the alternator fixed so the belt stays on. One more brace and a deep groove pulley should fix it.

Attachments

• cap2.JPG
    cap2.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 466
Dusty,

What does Cal want your WOT AFR to be?
I know some like it fat and others like it lean.
Duttweiler has Chris's V-8 in the 12:1 Range.

BTW Congratulations!!! :biggrin:

Dusty,the same thing happened to Tony Gomes in reynolds, He made a full pass,lifted and hte car died. when he opened the hood the cap was in a few pieces
we locktighted the new on on

KLHAMMETT said:
Dusty,the same thing happened to Tony Gomes in reynolds, He made a full pass,lifted and hte car died. when he opened the hood the cap was in a few pieces

Otto what color loctite do you guy like?

Congrats on the 5.8's Dusty!!! Sorry about the carnage (nice pics BTW :biggrin: ) but at least it was nothing major and the fact of the matter is you are making forward progress which is always a good thing :) :cool:

KLHAMMETT said:

Thanks Otto. I've never heard of this problem until now and never had it happen to me before. Just today I have heard from you and one other guy that had the same problem. This also happened to me after I lifted.

I have some blue loc-tite at the house I'll try and keep an eye on it. It may call for the red :mad:

I think we have it around 11.25-11.5 with the boost up but I have all the negative correction off for now and am working the a/f up myself. I know the record setting pass in O/L 10.5 was made at around 11.0 a/f and it likes it there.

The pics Brick :biggrin: I promised pics so here they are. I did get the second pass on video but it's 8mm :( We planned to film the 3rd and 4th pass with my digital camera and take pics. After the carnage we thrashed and didn't take any pics. I was relieved it wasn't major so we loaded up and headed to Hooter's for a while. That's where I should have got the camera out :D

Dusty Bradford said:
Thanks Otto. I've never heard of this problem until now and never had it happen to me before. Just today I have heard from you and one other guy that had the same problem. This also happened to me after I lifted.

I have some blue loc-tite at the house I'll try and keep an eye on it. It may call for the red :mad:

I think we have it around 11.25-11.5 with the boost up but I have all the negative correction off for now and am working the a/f up myself. I know the record setting pass in O/L 10.5 was made at around 11.0 a/f and it likes it there.

The pics Brick :biggrin: I promised pics so here they are. I did get the second pass on video but it's 8mm :( We planned to film the 3rd and 4th pass with my digital camera and take pics. After the carnage we thrashed and didn't take any pics. I was relieved it wasn't major so we loaded up and headed to Hooter's for a while. That's where I should have got the camera out :D

Any pics from Hooters???

Dusty Bradford said:
I was relieved it wasn't major so we loaded up and headed to Hooter's for a while. That's where I should have got the camera out :D

Here's an idea... Next time you're at Hooter's unload the car off the trailer and get some of the ladies to come pose by the car!!!!

Two birds with one stone :biggrin:

86brick said:
Here's an idea... Next time you're at Hooter's unload the car off the trailer and get some of the ladies to come pose by the car!!!!

Two birds with one stone :biggrin:

Only thing better than girls or cars, is girls and cars together. :biggrin:

Googs said:
Only thing better than girls or cars, is girls and cars together. :biggrin:

Like I have said before I can not afford either! :eek:

I use the red loctite,no more chances the blue would probably be fine though