3.5" dash speakers draw too much?

Ed Valvo

After looking at the factory wiring, it looks like the front door speakers and the dash speakers are wired for a 2 ohm load if using all 4 ohm speakers. I have factory concert sound system. Were the factory speakers a different ohm? The door speakers are 4 ohm but the dash seakers had no markings. Will a 2 ohm load hurt the deck? I just bought an Alpine unit with 50x4, 21x4 RMS, I'd hate to toast it.

Also, anyone recommend a good 3.5" dash speaker? I have been concern about tweeter protrusion. Polk seems to work but most have tweeter protrusion which cracks the dash piece. I have been looking at the Infinity's and Alpine units and considering a 600 hz passive bass blocker. Sound ok?

Get the Infinity's - much better than the Alpine's. And I'm not just saying that because I hate Alpine. I'd say the same if I was comparing Infinity to Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc. Infinity specializes in speakers, that is what they do. You will not have to worry so much about the 2 ohm impedance if you put a bass block cap on them. Besides, almost all internal power head units use BTL circuitry which is a little more forgiving on collective ohm rattings.

600 hz is a little to high. I'd shoot for 300. You want to get some deeper midrange out of them. Mine are getting 50 watts each of real power and are crossed over at 300. They are now almost 3 years old and sound perfect.

The Infinity 3 1/2's will require a little more work to get them in, but it is definetly worth it.

Welp, got the 300's. I'll try them with the Polks I already have and see how it sounds. I just put Infinity 5.25" in the doors and they sounded like crap with the Delco dash speakers. Actually, I couldn't even hear the door speakers at all. Without the dash speakers installed, the door speakers sound great. Depending on how it sounds with the Polks and the 300 bass blockers, I'll probably buy the dash speakers real soon. I got my eyes on those Infinity's. I'll post my results. ;)