3" dual Exhaust

KWIKR 1

anyone sell a nice 3" or bigger dual exhaust for a sbc setup (side exit ) ? Know anything about a company called Pypes ?

2nd question: Is it recommened to run a balance tube/X pipe in a twin turbo application exhaust ? any advantage to this ? can't find a lot of info on this subject .

The X-pipe/H-pipe is going to be a benefit in sound only as the exhaust does have the need to scavenge exhaust pulses due to the turbos. This is one of two reasons I added an H-pipe to my exhaust with the twins (I have no idea if it was worthwhile).

Here is a good thread explaining X-pipes: http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28367&hilit=x+pipe

My understanding of an X-pipe's function is as follows:

1) Creates an abrupt change of impedance for the pressure pulses from cylinder blow-down. This is the same function as performed by an exhaust "expander box" at the end of the collector, although with a lot less volume required. The change of impedance assures that the tuned length of the collector is correct. I would *not* expect an X-pipe to decouple the headers from the rest of the exhaust system the way that an expander box does, however.

2) Allows both banks to use both pipes. With a true dual exhaust, each bank has use of a single pipe. With an X-pipe, each bank has use of *BOTH* pipes. Double the cross-sectional area downstream of the collectors.

3) Provides "jet pump" effect for opposite bank. The blow-down phase of each cylinder's exhaust strokes occurs during the pump-down (post-blow-down) phase of the previous cylinder in the firing order. When the previous cylinder is in the opposite bank, the venturi effect of the blow down exhaust flow should help create a draw on the exhaust of the cylinder in the pump-down phase. This is the same principle in action as when exhaust flow is used to pull down crank case pressure.

4) Reduces exhaust noise. With a true dual exhaust, the entire acoustic energy generated by one bank of the engine comes out one pipe. By splitting the energy of each bank across two pipes, the peak intensity of each acoustic source (which is what we perceive as loudness) is reduced by at least 3 dB. The total acoustic power delivered is the same, but by "spreading it out", the perception of peak intensity is reduced.

5) Changes exhaust sound. With a true dual exhaust, each bank has a pulse output of "bang-wait-bang-wait-bang-bang-wait-wait" (X _ X _ X X _ _ ). The overlap of the two banks and the sequentially firing cylinders in each bank creates the beloved "throb" of a V8 exhaust. With an X-pipe, each pipe transmits each pulse from both banks ( x x x x x x x x )... Smoother and more Ferrari-esque, but not as much so as 180 degree headers (or a flat crank).

6) (Pure speculation... no test results) Changes *WHERE* behind the car the peak sound intensity is heard. In a true dual system, the alternating pulses from each bank create a two-element phased array that's out of phase. This *should* put peak sound intensity at 45 degrees off from directly behind the car. With an X-pipe and both outlets radiating in-phase, peak sound intensity should be directly behind the car.

Mike..That's what I've basicly been able to find out , that it maybe beneficial to the sound quality . other than that not a whole lot more . Some said they noticed a change in the exhaust sound .....others did not . I ordered my complete system from TT today . I had one in my old turbo v6 TR and loved it . they said basicly the samething concerning the x pipe , that it was a buyers preference . so...I ordered a system without the X pipe . I was also concerened that it maybe a PIA if I ever needed to get the trans out with the X pipe ????

That was my rationale (trans access) when I placed my H-pipe back as far as I did since I didn't want to flange it... and as we've determined this may, or may not, smooth out the sound of this thing once it gets running (I am hoping that at idle it sounds less like a boat idling in the water then it did when it was N/A).

That was my rationale (trans access) when I placed my H-pipe back as far as I did since I didn't want to flange it... and as we've determined this may, or may not, smooth out the sound of this thing once it gets running (I am hoping that at idle it sounds less like a boat idling in the water then it did when it was N/A).

should be interesting to see if it makes a difference in the sound . Are you running catalytic converters ?

got it . and your running race bullet mufflers ? I was going to go that route but thought it maybe too crazy loud for a street car .

It was with long tube headers... now I doubt it will be that bad with the turbos inline.

It was with long tube headers... now I doubt it will be that bad with the turbos inline.

I'm going with a dual 3" Torque Tech system (exit behind rear tires) open cats and a pair of 14" S/S Magnaflow mufflers . Hopefully it flows and sounds decent . :)

I'm going with a dual 3" Torque Tech system (exit behind rear tires) open cats and a pair of 14" S/S Magnaflow mufflers . Hopefully it flows and sounds decent . :)

I love Magnaflow mufflers. We have them on the Buick and the TBSS.

Attachments

• cat_allflow_picture.jpg
    cat_allflow_picture.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 159
Yeah, the problem is they don't look "functional"... you'll have to find a way to heat cycle them to make them look convincing.

Yeah, the problem is they don't look "functional"... you'll have to find a way to heat cycle them to make them look convincing.

Oxy/Acetylene with with a big rose bud tip will give them that heat cycle "look" . :D :)