30+psi on accident, thank you alky kit!

Bigjsn250

ZR1, 87GN and 86 T Type, life is good
I have been tuning a lot since getting the car. The car has been seeing 26-27 psi and holds it fine. I've played a little with fp and timing and as expected got some knock here and there as I decreased fuel and/or added timing.
So I was reading a thread where Grumpy was talking about using an air regulator as a boost controller. I had one laying around and hooked it up. This was about 7-8pm, probably 80 degrees out, remember I have a pt54, tial wastegate, huge FMIC and huge 3.5"dp and straight shot exhaust. Stock heads and cam though. My Meth knob was at 6, 43ish psi at FPR line off, tt alky chip, basically what you see in my sig. First hit wot it pegs the boost gauge the needle literally back between the oo's in boost lol. I of course immediately get out of it (afrs looked good 10.9-11.2, no knock). I crank the reg down and hit it again, same thing, has to be 35psi+, sounds great, goes like hell, I get out of it. So I pull over (this is in an old peach orchard) and check the scanmaster, 791 0 knock, my innovative gauge read 10.8 (it normally reads 10.2-4.)
The reason I posted this in this section is because how impressed I am with the alky kit. I cannot imagine that much boost with no knock any other way on a stock motor.
I of course pulled the reg off and I am back on the waste gate spring (18.5lb spring) I see 26-27psi set up this way. Even with good afr's and no knock that much boost worries me on a stock block.

30psi on a combo like that if not lean and no hiccup on the alky is no problem. I eventually went 10.61 with a combo like that and it took 30psi to do it. The engine was in the car at least 2 years and was pounded in that trim for about as long

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Didn't you mention 30 psi and 35+ psi?

D

I did, but you'll notice I said I immediately got out of it.

Bison, good to know. As soon as I get one of Dusty's converters in this thing I'll be calling you. A new turbo, heads and cam are going to be needed before winter:cool:

I run 30psi with stock long block.. no issues once I got the up-pipe to stay on. Crank it up and have some fun..

ks

I run 30psi with stock long block.. no issues once I got the up-pipe to stay on. Crank it up and have some fun..

ks

Kevin it's funny you say that. I pulled out of my house ( the same day) ran down the street and kinda laid into the pedal slow. Boost ran up and as soon as hit 25ish the car made what sounded like a rifle going off sound. I limped back home and I had blown off the up pipe. I've had some pretty fast cars, but have never heard anything that loud. I was relieved to see what it was.

Kevin it's funny you say that. I pulled out of my house ( the same day) ran down the street and kinda laid into the pedal slow. Boost ran up and as soon as hit 25ish the car made what sounded like a rifle going off sound. I limped back home and I had blown off the up pipe. I've had some pretty fast cars, but have never heard anything that loud. I was relieved to see what it was.
I've documented my trials in this forum with keeping the F'n thing on above 26psi and I finally ended up making my own boost brace which solved the problem the instant I bolted it on. If you still have issues there are pics on here somewhere on how I built it.

:)
KS

yeah, I saw that, if it happens again i will be copying it. Looks like I'll be copying your exhaust also. I got the car with a 3.5" pypes race muffler where the stock cat would be, way loud!. I've added a dynomax 3" chambered muffler in the stock location. Its still to loud so I believe I'm going to add another one behind the axle, single in dual out.
BTW, not exactly new to this stuff, just new to Buicks. Pic is of one of my old cars, F1 procharged, progressive 200 shot wilson nitrous plate and AEM progressive meth injection

Attachments

• 564.JPG
    564.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 208