307 swap for a turbo 6?

mattmittenz516

The Reeg
hi i have an 86 regal limited with the 307 olds motor in it =/ anyway i have a turbo 6 out of an 85 t type to dump in it, can some one help me please guide me through it and tell me what else i must buy? such as what mounts and what not, i already no i have to upgrade the tranny n rear, and change the harnesses, get a computer, do i have to change the fuel tank? since the turbo 6 uses in an tank fuel pump and my regal right now has a carbuerated 307, my last question is, is this a do able swap? or is it a complete nightmare?

I would ask this question in the "Before Black" and "Hot Air Tech" sections on here. They will probably give you all the info you need and then some.

Welcome to TB!

To convert from carb to SFI you'll need more than you think. Entire wiring harness front to back for one thing. Fuel lines front to back need to be changed as well as gas tank. To do it right and save you time as well as money you really need a donner car.

i have just completed this same task. i will tell you that it is a ton of work and you need way more than you think.if your gonna do it correctly you will definatly need a donor car or two.i just spent the last 2 months doing mine on a lift in my automotive repair shop at night.sure you could do faster but i really went for high detail.here is a list of required changes as i see it and ill probably miss a few things.
engine,trans,perch mounts,fuel lines from front to tank,fuel tank,engine wiring harness,dash wiring harness,harness from fuse block to tail light harness,tail light harness,hvac heater case,instr. cluster,entire exhaust,ecm,ect. i loved doing it and my car is absolutly awsome,but its a lot of work but definatly do-able if you can scare up all the parts.

Unless your car is Ultra mint it might be better to find a whole car and fix it. Also to swap in a hot air motor to an ultra mint car isn't near as beneficial as going an 86-87 LC2 swap.

well my car isnt mint but i love it and i dont have a donor car, dont really have money for a t type or a nash upfront there rare by me and u wont find one under $4,000 but i can build my regal little by little i got the turbo 6 motor for 300 and here i am

Are you dead set on the turbo 6 swap? Or would a 455 in place of that 307 shake your tree? What trans do you have?

don't forget you also need dash harnesses and fuse block and god knows whatever else you are missing. I'd sell off all of it and find a complete setup.

don't forget you also need dash harnesses and fuse block and god knows whatever else you are missing. I'd sell off all of it and find a complete setup.

As much as this sucks to hear do it. Im half-way through doing this exact swap and it truely sucks. Im slowly continuing the swap but as soon as I find a buick that came with the turbo motor mines for sale. Its not so much its a hard swap as it is the previous owner was an "expert" so now Im trying to fix all of his "mods"

I just did this swap also to 87 intercooled version. I did it in 1 month but I got a donor car so I had everything and its still a pain in the rear but I'll do it a couple more times if I had too.

a 455 would definetly do it for me, the car is completely stock t200 trans and 7.5 inch rear lmao, but im going to get a rear and tranny new from jegs or summit they arent that expensive

Unless your car is Ultra mint it might be better to find a whole car and fix it. Also to swap in a hot air motor to an ultra mint car isn't near as beneficial as going an 86-87 LC2 swap.

Agreed. Not worth all that work for an 85 setup. An 86-87 maybe but not a hotair 85.

ok seems that this swap isnt worrth it then if i could just find and olds 455 or 403 that would drop right in piece of cake lol

i love my reeg though and she deserves a fat motor and all the good stuff i am not ditching her for another regal in better shape or that would be an easier swap, it does however seem that the turbo swap isnt worth it and maybe i should just go with a big ol v8

Or you can stick with the 307. Hot rod or car craft did a build up on one in the last year and made some impressive power out of it. You could see about picking up a copy or check online and see what they did and save some time and money.