373 gears

Unless you have ported heads and a cam, 3.73 gears don't make sense.

Stock motor revs to 5200 RPM max. After that, HP and TQ fall off a cliff.

with 26" tall tires and 3.42 gears, 5200 is only 114 mph, even with a locked up converter. Unlock the converter and its less than 110 mph.

110 mph is Stock turbo mph. Why would you want to limit your car to stock turbo mph in the 1/4?

3.73 Gears will require a shift into OD in the 1/4 with 26" tall tires. So you'll need to switch to 28" tires, which get's you back to a ratio of 3.5 or so. 28 Inch tires work fine with the stock gears, though, and allow a higher boost launch.

Try to find performance 16" and 17" tires that are 28" tall and you run into another problem with 3.73 gears. Most of these tires are 25.5-26" tall, which will make the OD shift be required around 100-105 mph.

great information.
thanks alot!!
i knew someone could steer me in the right direction.
just bought a 87 stock t-type and was told it may have 373s in it.

looks like their gonna be comming out soon. and the stock 342s returned.
:D

but on the street 73's work better. Less lag from the turbo too. It will get ya moving faster then 42's will. I have and love the 73's on the street.. The car is snappier then with the 42's

You can still get into the 11's with 3.73's and shifting into OD. I did. I guess I lost some MPH shifting into OD, but Oh well.....