4.1 hint

Know exactly what you're saying. I was also using 1007 gaskets so I didn't file the dowels at all. I could push the head over the dowel but it never laid completely flat to the gasket. I just clamped it down anyway.

I never thought so many people has had the problem. Glad you posted!:)

My main concern wasn't SO much the clamping force, although it was a concern, it was the moving of the head upwards. If you reread my original post it explained that I had to file the underside of the locating dowels to try to make the head sit flat on the deck, because the crooked studs were forcing the the head up. So with the 4.1 bored out to 4" we don't have much "extra" movement to play with...in fact it's about 10 thou. using a 1007 gasket.

With the 1007 "O" ringed gasket it has to be pretty well perfect. Moving the head up would leave the gasket (positioned by the studs and dowels right at the deck) in it's proper position but the head's groove would not be in the right position to accept the gasket's ring since the head is sitting up higher, forced higher by the top of the studs.

Or I may be nuts. :biggrin:

Edit: When I use the term "UP" it means towards the intake manifold.