4" Cold air kit from TURBO REGAL CUSTOM PARTS

NEARING

If you have a street car that you like to drive a good bit it's a must have IMO.:D

Only takes an hour to put on and your "turbo sound" is about twice as loud.

Today I got on it for a second and a telephone co. crew heard me from at LEAST 100 ft away. :cool:

I whimped out and bought the chrome piece that goes to the MAF because I bought so many other parts. I plan to order the rest of the cold air system tonight.

Cold air kits do nothing!!! The temp difference of drawing outside of the engine compartment vs. inside is negligible next to the temp increase in the compressor. In fact, cold air kits likely have more losses due to the additional bends in the piping then non cold air kits.

Jason

Originally posted by V8KILLR
Cold air kits do nothing!!! The temp difference of drawing outside of the engine compartment vs. inside is negligible next to the temp increase in the compressor. In fact, cold air kits likely have more losses due to the additional bends in the piping then non cold air kits.

Jason

AAAAAUUUGGGHHH! Don't start this debate again please! It's been beaten to death over and over again. I don't see where the guy said he picked up a few tenths with it, so why rain on his parade?

I wouldn't say cold air kits do "nothing", but some would argue that putting a filter at the end of the MAF pipe - underhood - works just as well. I can't say for sure if my Big Mouth kit helped at all but it certainly didn't hurt performance. If you're moving from a stock setup there IS a benefit in ditching the puny stock filter and canister. I got a new turbo with a 4" inlet and needed a 4" MAF pipe so I figured what the hey, I'd get the whole shootin' match from Mark.

Personally I like the way the cold air kit looks. It may not perform any better than the air-cleaner-under-the-hood route (I think the jury is still out on that) but I like having the air cleaner out of the engine compartment. I like watching people at car shows try to follow all the plumbing around. The sound is awesome too.

Jim

Originally posted by V8KILLR

Jason

Did I say I was going faster with it? NO!

I can't see where dropping the air temp going into the turbo 40-50 deg is going to slow me down.:confused:

Maybe if I was running an T88 on my street car the bends in the 4" pipe would hurt me.

I checked the F.A.S.T. yesterday and now my air temp is only about 5 deg above outside temp. On a hot day before it was 40-50 deg warmer.

Cold day much less diff.

Did not read all you and every one wrote, but it is physics, there is NO DEBATE WHAT SO EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not trying to rain on his parade, you are absolutely 100% correct in saying that there is a gain in going from this system from stock setup. However, it is likely that a cold air kit flows less then a filter at the end of the MAF pipe – underhood. This is due to the losses in the additional bends in piping…….don’t want to be a geek, but I’ll break out my old fluid mechanics book or heat transfer book if it is necessary.

Jason

Originally posted by turbojimmy
AAAAAUUUGGGHHH! Don't start this debate again please! It's been beaten to death over and over again. I don't see where the guy said he picked up a few tenths with it, so why rain on his parade?

I wouldn't say cold air kits do "nothing", but some would argue that putting a filter at the end of the MAF pipe - underhood - works just as well. I can't say for sure if my Big Mouth kit helped at all but it certainly didn't hurt performance. If you're moving from a stock setup there IS a benefit in ditching the puny stock filter and canister. I got a new turbo with a 4" inlet and needed a 4" MAF pipe so I figured what the hey, I'd get the whole shootin' match from Mark.

Personally I like the way the cold air kit looks. It may not perform any better than the air-cleaner-under-the-hood route (I think the jury is still out on that) but I like having the air cleaner out of the engine compartment. I like watching people at car shows try to follow all the plumbing around. The sound is awesome too.

Jim

Did not read all you and every one wrote, but it is physics, there is NO DEBATE WHAT SO EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow? I got "so what ever "first time I read it.

Anyone got a copy of "hooked on english"?:eek:

But,I still don't see it slowing me down at my power level.

I'm not worried about a couple of 1/100's of a sec.

I don't mean to interupt the arguing, but if you do want a cold air setup and don't want to spend all that money you can do it for about $40 bucks give or take alittle. Turbo regal custom parts make great high quality stuff and thier cold air kit is great , but if you want to save the money and feel like doing a little polishing go to this website, http://shop.airflowonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AFSI&Category_Code=IT and you can pretty much get everything you need. It won't be as pretty as the one Turbo Regal Custom Parts has, but its not that far off.

Dan T--
Your link doesn't work; per geocities, "site reactivation needed due to inactivity." FYI.

Morgan

I made my cold air kit from parts from airflowonline. I bought a 45 degree rubber elbow and a one foot long piece of 4" straight aluminum pipe. I think it was a tad over $25 for the parts shipped to my door. The pipe matches the factory up-pipe perfectly so it looks almost stock. I already had the 14" K&N filter and ATR cold air kit to match up to it. I also bought a 4-3" reducer hose to mount my MAF sensor to the 4" pipe. It looks pretty good. It is a tight fit around the IAC valve though. I also had to put a tie strap on it to keep it from rubbing against the alternator or its bracket.