4 gear up shift problem . may be converter ?

dfisher

Ok' did some rebuilding on the car over the last year and had the engine out so when i put he car back together i noticed the the only way it will shift to 4th is if i let all the way off the throttle. the car came with a converter so i installed it and this started. it was fine with the stock d5 but this new converter wont allow it to shit the way it used to nor does the converter lock. there was no id numbers on the converter. all i know is its a 10 inch 2800 stall. im wondering if the converter is a non lock up in a lock up trans. if so would this cause my problem and is there any damage that can occur if the converter is the wrong style. had the pan off this weekend and checked the lock up solenoid and it working but still no lock up. car has a fast system so the lock up is manual through a toggle switch. thanks.

Couldn't resist this one!!:D
I don't know "shit" about the trans problem. I did have a couple tho, that "shit the bed"....:LOL:
However, I do have a ? Will it "shit" if you shit it manually?o_O

Yes it will shift but only if i let off the throttle. If i drive normal through all gears it will stay in 3rd untill let off the gas. Example. Stoped then went on the highway 1st second and 3rd are good no early shifting but now im going 70 at 3000 rpm still no 4th untill i let off the gas then it shifts. Before It would just shit no problem, only difference was the converter change. Yes the trans was rebuilt but i have put about 50 thousand miles Since i have owned the car. But the converter still wont lock. That's why i'm wondering about the converter maybe being a non lock. Had the pan off and its super clean no metal or anything on the pan. Also I have ajusted the tv cable several times same result.

Post your loctaion and find someone local to help you out. Most likey a valvebody issue or tv cable miss adjusted issue-back it off 1/2 clicks see if that changes---convertors changes stall rpm not shift points. The looser a convertor the more tame the shifts will be--the tighter the convertor the harsher they are---it will not affected shift points at all.

Post your loctaion and find someone local to help you out. Most likey a valvebody issue or tv cable miss adjusted issue-back it off 1/2 clicks see if that changes---convertors changes stall rpm not shift points. The looser a convertor the more tame the shifts will be--the tighter the convertor the harsher they are---it will not affected shift points at all.
I know you are a VERY knowledgeable guy on these cars, and you know more than I do on them. I don't want to come across as arguing or questioning your knowledge. Could it be that the converter is so much looser at the point it was previously shifting into OD, that the input shaft is not seeing enough engine rpm for the governor to command the shift? I wonder if he manually locked the converter through the aldl port of it would shift correctly. For test purposes, not for driving.

I know you are a VERY knowledgeable guy on these cars, and you know more than I do on them. I don't want to come across as arguing or questioning your knowledge. Could it be that the converter is so much looser at the point it was previously shifting into OD, that the input shaft is not seeing enough engine rpm for the governor to command the shift? I wonder if he manually locked the converter through the aldl port of it would shift correctly. For test purposes, not for driving.
No offense taken. Yes he could do that. The OD shift is usually streched out more than the 1/2, 2/3 in a typical BR calibration. Could be that the convertor is looser and in order to get the 1/2, 2/3 shift feel back that the TV cable has been tightened and this is affecting the 3/4 more than the rest.

The OP cannot run the lockup test because the converter won't lock. Secondly...the governor looks at the output shaft speed not the input shaft speed. I agree it could be caused by a looser converter. The load on the transmission/converter increases as you go up in gears increasing the rpm difference between input shaft speed vs. output shaft speed. The best thing to do is find out exactly what converter is actually installed on the transmission. Is it a LU or NLU? What is the actual stall speed of the converter?