5/16" chain weight limit

DCVING 6

How heavy is too heavy for 5/16" thick chain. :D

We have a piece of machinery at work that weighs roughly 4000lbs that they want to pick up and move with the forklift. Is a few 5/16th inch chains going to be enough?

I would get with the manufacturer of the lifting device to get a properly rated lifting device. OSHA is not a small town in Wisconsin. The last thing you need is to have a problem or worse an injury.

Why chain? There's wire rope and nylon slings that are made to do what you asking.
McMaster-Carr

Can you jack up the machine and/or use skids to lift from underneath with the forks?

Yea we can get a skid under it, but the genious picking it up doesn't have a flatbed. He's using a U-haul somewhat like a car trailor but with tall side rails. The guy didn't even strap the last one down to the trailor. :eek:

High grade 5/16 proof coil is a little small. 3/8 should be good. The breaking point is still over 10000lb for the 5/16 but under spec for 4000lbs

Well the guy never showed to pick it up this morning, so I have the weekend to find something that will work.

Go to Lowe's and buy a peice of 3/8 grade 8 chain and one grade 8 hook go around the forks and around you peice. Or I can let you use some rigging that is good for 200000lb. I work for a crane and rigging company.