500 hp

My car with me in it weighs roughly 3600 lbs. I ran 120 mph in the 1/4 a couple years back on the old motor. According to one of the online hp calculators, that was about 500 rwhp. I dyno'd it, but it didn't run right and only made 438. So I'd say you could run about 120-122 mph, but et is gonna be more based on 60' time. My 120 mph run was only an 11.61, with a 1.9 short time. Had that been a 1.60, I would have run about 11.16.

Just out of curiousity, how much do we assume for drivetrain loss if we wanted to estimate HP at the crank?

Jim

I put mine on a mustang dyno a few months back and it only made like 451 rwhp & 968 ftlbs:confused:

This was about 2-3 weeks after the car went 10.98@125.9
nothing changed.

And it's got to be 3700lbs.

Some say to add anywhere from 10 to 20!!!% drive train loss. I always calculate about 15% into my combo.

Originally posted by NEARING
I put mine on a mustang dyno a few months back and it only made like 451 rwhp & 968 ftlbs:confused:

This was about 2-3 weeks after the car went 10.98@125.9
nothing changed.

And it's got to be 3700lbs.

Did you have a torque spike or is that a typo? Theres a lot of dyno's out there not set up right, or with untrained operators. Thats why no 2 dyno's ever read the same. I'd say 15% is a safe figure for driveline loss, it may be closer to 20%.

I've always heard that the mustang dynos are 15-20 percent less than other styles as well. Could be true, but might not be.

Well I know it couldn't have made anywhere near that much torque really.

I think they used total torque or something wierd. It wasn't much of a torque spike at all,maybe 50lbs or so and did not drop off that much at all, less than 200ftlbs all the way to 6050rpms.:confused:

HP curve was very flat also, less than 50 diff entire pull.

Every car at the dyno that night made a lot more torque than expected and a good bit less HP than expected.

A modded lightning made 60 less than he had on a dyno jet.
A 6 speed LS1 made 257 rwhp. He wasn't too happy.

I got beat by 30hp by trailered Cuda with a 340 and 200 shot on it that sounded like a pro stock.

Mustang dynos do read lower. Its a load bearing dyno which in my opinion is more accurate.
On the high torque. The dyno operator improperly avaraged the torque by including the shift change torque spike. Been there and have seen it many times. I have played around with the dynojet software and its very easy to do this.