51 turbo problems!

wyk3d

Car wiring sucks!
Well, while tracking down a strange whistle on my plenum/TB and a rich condition, i noticed a strange vibration noise coming from the turbo. I placed the steel rod on the turbo housing and revved it up. Sounds like somethings grinding in there and then it will go away and then start grinding again. Its too hot to pull apart today but if it happens that i need a new one which turbo would best suit my combination. Purely a street driven car that likes to kill ricers occasionally.

Dan

A TE-44 or TE-60 will both work well with your combo so take your pick if or should I say when you find that your PT-51 is coming apart! BTW, if Harry @ PTE won't take care of you and rebuild your 51 free of charge I think it's in your best interest to get your next turbo from John Craig of Limit Engineering :)

Later.

I am one of the people that has never had troble with my 51. I have had mine for over three years without any trouble. Still no shaft play and the wheels are perfect.

no way .... your motor must be trashed like mine..or your headers are flaking or your head gasket did it or something but the turbo will not mess up on its own..:rolleyes:

you know im just warming you up for what you'll hear when you call them about it..:D

yeah i know im not even going to bother calling them. I called them once before to ask them about why so many of them were seeming to have trouble. The told me i was crazy. Im going to go pull it apart today and see what the deal is with the noise. How much shaft play is OK when im inside there?

Dan

Up/down side/side movement on compressor side seems to be alot in my opinion. It doesnt scrape the housing anywhere though it comes pretty damn close. There is no in/out movement at all. Does this mean im in the clear? Haven't checked the exhaust side yet.

Dan

if it hasent made any contact with the housing its not shot yet...

the exaust side is the one you want to inspect real good...housing needs to be pulled off and check for and blade damage toward the center section and clean blades up and look real good for cracks in them that will start from center section side of blade..

hopefully thats not your problem but never know with them turbine wheels ....could last forever or could fly apart first time out with it..

heres the link to my turbine whel pictures so you can get an idea of where the cracks start at ...notice most the pictures are taken from the backside of the wheel

http://groups.msn.com/IntercooledBuick/shoebox.msnw

good luck.:)