Attachments

• 1437745275252.jpg
    1437745275252.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 1437745408097.jpg
    1437745408097.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 127
The wastegate should never open if there is no line connected to it
This is incorrect. I commonly delete the line and use the spring tension and bypass diameter to meter the exhaust pressure on higher hp internal gate applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the wastegate hole ported to 1.1 inches. I measured it with a dial caliper tonight. It has an oversized puck. I'm thinking of getting a new turbine housing, and a standard size puck. I've pretty much eliminated everything else that could be the problem
How did you verify the puck is sealing against the housing? Is there any weld on the face of the puck?

I don't think the WG hole size is an issue. I have had my WG hole opened up more than that and never had an issue. I would think sealing like Bison mentioned if you haven't checked that yet.

How did you verify the puck is sealing against the housing? Is there any weld on the face of the puck?

There is weld in the very center. I took some grease, and put a thin layer on the puck, then put the dp back on. It has approx. 3/16" solid all the way around.

The angle of the actuator to the wastegate is pretty extreme, so I bent an offset in the rod so that the arm coming out of the actuator is perfectly straight when it's hooked up. Using a blow gun to pressurize the actuator everything seems to be functioning normal. Gets good travel, and closes good too.

Another issue I have is when the boost is up high around 26 psi it bounces up and down +/- 2 psi really fast. During a 1/4 mile run when I look at the Pl file it does this until about 1/2 through 3rd gear, and then it will smooth out. This is why I started investigating to begin with

Its your boost controller and wastegate setup most likely. Or it can be tune related as it sounds like surging.

Joe

Last edited:
Possibly something with the wastegate assembly. I've tried controlling the boost numerous ways. Same results every way.

I've been considering going to an .85 turbine housing. What are your guys thoughts about it?

Just do it. I swapped mine to .85 for more MPH on the big end. It will reduce spooling a bit, but your cars converter seems a little loose anyway.

Nice.

You could always sell the 5858. Then contact Bison for his recommendation. I did and I couldn't be happier with his turbo. Quality and price is right.

Joe