67bb turbo and Precision stock location

threat724

Will a Precision stock location intercooler work with the 67bb turbo without cutting the intercooler neck????

Why cut the intercooler neck...

Make the pipe fit before U do that. I would look at silicone hoses and pipes before hacking up an intercooler.

Will a Precision stock location intercooler work with the 67bb turbo without cutting the intercooler neck????

i think it all depends on what compressor housing you have [ E, S, H] i know the H definately WON'T work.... just ask Patrick. Thats why he's selling his Precision Stock Location. E almost definately WILL.... and probably the S. I am sure Patrick will see this thread and respond and he is "THE GURU OF ALL THAT IS PRECISION":biggrin: . HTH

I ran into the same problem.

A) The compressor housing is too long.
B)The PTE IC inlet is too long.

Pick one. Anyway you slice they wont work together. If you clock the comp housing to align perfectly with the IC inlet, the IC will be at such a bad angle pushing towards the front of the car that the uppipe will not reach the TB. Also the drivers bracket will not reach its stud locations to bolt up. It might be hard to explain what its doing unless you actually have these two pieces and are trying to mate them. There was a previous post on this subject and a few people made negative comments on my descion to cut the IC...well they didnt have these two componenets on their car so they should not have put their 2 cents in. Not being ugly...just expressing what works and what doesnt and how to fix it.

I fought with this for 2 nights until I decided to get out my sawsall and trim 1.5 inches off the IC inlet neck. The motor doesnt know the difference of how long the IC inlet is supposed to be. After you put the hose and clamps on you cant tell that anything was done to the IC anyway. Not all after market pieces will fit perfectly 100% of the time.

That being said I dont regret the little extra time or fabricating that I did...my turbo loves that IC and my car runs great.

It spools so much faster without that extra pipe the air has to travel thru....:eek: :D :D

I went from an E cover TE-60R, which fit perfectly, to an S cover equipped 6776 journal bearing turbo which had the discharge of the compressor cover pushed all the way over, so that the discharge lined up with the inlet of the intercooler inlet on the drivers side, but had a step on the passengers side of the hose. I did try the fitment on my current H cover equipped 6776RHPS turbo and the alignment was terrible. I agree with 87NAT, you will have to modify the intercooler neck and possibly the brackets depending on what headers and downpipe you have, in order to get any form of decent alignment. In the beginning, the PTE Stock location intercooler was never designed to work with an H cover equipped turbo. It was mocked up on a stock '87 GN that had a GT3255E turbo on it. It is only rated to support 750 flywheel hp, and the PT67 turbo can support 780 fwhp with an S cover. However, some have pushed the intercooler harder.

I really liked my PTE Stock Location IC, but I did not want to cut it, or have to deal with making or modifying the bracket. Hence the change with my combo. To my knowledge, 87NAT is probably the only member that has worked out the issues with installing this intercooler with an H cover equipped turbo. I bet all the negativists would think differently if they were to see pictures of your modifications. Pictures have a way of really clearing up the details. I wish I would have had my camera in hand when I was mocking up my turbo, during my IC swap.
HTH

Patrick

I am going to be the second......

Patrick, can you get some specific dimensional differences between the compressor covers? That way I can use my measurements as a doublecheck.

I am running stock headers.

Bob

Well, the S cover 67 shipped out to it's new owner last week. But I can take some measurements of my H cover and let you know. From memory, I think it's about 1 1/4" difference in diameter of the overall OD of the comp cover. Not sure about position distance in relation to center of CHRA. That is what you really need to know. If you measure from the center of one of the water coolant holes to the outer edge of the compressor cover discharge. This measurement difference between an S cover and an H cover would tell the tale.
Here's two quick pictures to help better illustrate what we're talking about. Take this measurement on an S cover turbo (like pictured) and the same measurement on an H cover turbo and you will see.

PT6776RS
bb3-1.jpg

PT6776RH
6776RH.jpg

Here is another picture that shows the alignment of my old 6776S compressor cover discharge in relation to the PTE Stock Location IC inlet neck. Notice the obvious step in the hose in relation to the discharge of the cover.

6776SSLIC.jpg

I'll see what I can come up with.

Patrick

I am going to be the second......

Patrick, can you get some specific dimensional differences between the compressor covers? That way I can use my measurements as a doublecheck.

I am running stock headers.

Bob

Sent you an email Bob:)

Heres your pic. Like I said you cant tell the IC was cut other than the hose has a little bend in it. I cut right where the IC starts to make a 90 degree turn.

Attachments

• ic hose 001 (Custom).jpg
    ic hose 001 (Custom).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 496
You're right 87NAT.. You can't tell with the hose on. And RUQWKNF, you are the GURU of turbos. Thanks guys.