6870 Turbo

I don't think that's possible with a true Tnetics .63 housing(similar to Garrett .63) That setup MIGHT take you to 10.3X. If he had a PTE exhaust housing then okay.

Re read the OP's orginal post below. He is running those numbers at 22 pounds of boost. Surely with 28 to 30 pounds it should be able to achieve 9's (provided the suspension is sorted out)

Well A friend took it to change the oil and called me and said we have a problem the bearings are bad in the turbo, We have talked about getting a new turbo so now I guess would be the best time, I was going to get a 6766 but after talking to the guy at Precision and told him our set up and what we do he said we would be better to go with a 6870, We run the car at 22 pounds of boost and it runs 10.40 at 131

I've never been on a dyno.
I've been 149 and Richie has been 154.6 in 3350 pound cars.
The math shows thats more than 775 even with margin of error.

I'm presenting actual data, not opinion.

Most I've seen .85 run them to in high 7 low 8 and the turbo starts running out of housing. 850 is probably doable but your at the top. Just never saw it on a Buick.

I believe on a larger cubic inch stage block it would become a problem faster moving that much air thru a 3 bolt housing.
But with the small cubic inch 109 motors it seems to work well. I don't think we have seen the limit of that turbo yet either.
Richie thinks there is more in it.

I still don't understand why he would need a 8 second turbo on a low 10 second Street car ?
6265 or 6266 are low 10s to high 9s second turbos.
6466 mid 9s to low 10s.
6766 mid 9s to high 8s
6870 or 71hpq are mid to low 8s or faster.

Make sure you have a matching converter, cam , compression ,rpm, etc to use the bigger turbos.

I would do a 6466 or 6465 turbo. You can make big power with those little turbos.

You will be just fine with this turbo. Spooling won't be a issue. Your converter on the other hand.... remains to be seen. A turbo of this magnitude with a lock up converter is eventually going to cause you a issue. From reading your post, I would definitely concentrate more on your suspension. There is no reason your car should be blowing away the tires from 24 to 26 psi ( no offense, it doesn't make that much power to do that). Something is wrong here. When my car was running high 9's in 2005 I would leave at 20psi off of the transbrake and hook 1.37 sixty foots consistently with only Lakewood shocks all around on a completely factory set up and no electronic boost controller (just a manual bleeder valve). Just keep in mind, that "IF" you figure out your suspension issue and turn up the boost, your injector duty cycle is something you want to keep a eye on. Your under injected with that turbo. With a set of 95lb injectors and a Dusty spec'd PTC 9.5" converter..... this car will be like nothing you have seen before. Good luck.

Thanks I was thinking about 160 pound injectors not sure yet when I change over to E85 and get the fast system on, Have some suspension I am going to change, The car has run with a old school school 70 no BB, When the car leaves and lifts the front tire and soon as it sets it down it unloads the rear and spins the slicks, Have ideal on some times and changing to M/T pros, Will look at the converter or find someone that knows more about them than me and put their 2 cents in

Pushing a 6266 into the 9s takes some special care. It is easier with the 64 or 67 compressor. I like the 67s. I have not run a 64 yet, but I see no downside to a 6766 on a low 10 sec car. A 6870 or 71hpq will not go low 8s. Mid 8s, but 2 have done it. Once again these are purpose built set ups. Rpm range plays a big roll in pushing a turbo. A bigger turbo will be more forgiving with rpms.

Well got my turbo today, It is a good looking turbo, Talking about my suspension, It was setup for a car with a stock block small turbo car that run 11.60-11.80's, Well when we built the engine and transmission and more things than I can think of and the car runs low 10's it just needs a few things changed, Like I said 22 pounds and it run constant 10.40's, The chip was burned for 24-26 pounds but as soon as the boost comes on it lifts the front and as soon as it sets down it unloads the rear and spins the slicks, I know a couple things that need changed, As for the 66 I don't know how it cost to have new bearings put in

Double-L you are going to love the 6870 it makes amazing power, i have it and my tires are crying for help as it rips them apart. The tuning with your combo will make a big difference, all the best.

Can't wait to get to work on it or mostly the guys that do most the work does, One of the best times I have had is we took the Buick and turned the boost down to 18 pounds and turned the alky off a street tune and I raced him with my SSR, It is the only 10 sec.pump gas daily driver I know of, I run the SSR at 12 pounds of boost but put a 15 pound pulley on for this race, We had a lot of bets most was on the SSR to win

6870 is nice
675f32717e7ee521e44dd87e5a03a286.jpg
55d6e1a887f289724319ba96b3010f4c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Most I've seen .85 run them to in high 7 low 8 and the turbo starts running out of housing.
Red Armstrong had made 909 rwhp on a 3 bolt .85,and I have seen tnetics .63 make 9sec passes.I do agree the op will now need several expensive changes to make that turbo work on his car.

Red Armstrong had made 909 rwhp on a 3 bolt .85,and I have seen tnetics .63 make 9sec passes.I do agree the op will now need several expensive changes to make that turbo work on his car.
That is with the converter locked. Big difference. Dynos are for tuning. Red has run 9.17@152 converter locked. Inline with others. My car made 814 on a Mustang dyno with a non lock up and has trapped 154. When you hit a converter with power in high gear with low rpm, it doesnt get a chance to couple right. I was showing 6800 rpms at 112mph. At the track this is over 150mph.
He will be fine with this turbo. It might have more lag than a 6766. As long as he is running high boost and his engine is taking in air, he shouldnt have boost issues.

I agree. The turbo is not the issue, you need the correct converter to drive the turbo properly. Your heads flow much better on the exhaust side than irons do so you are more efficient at lower boost levels.

If it were me, I would switch to E85 and the FAST unit now. Chips and low 9 second cars are a bad idea in my book but that is just me. Relying on two separate fuel systems to function correctly is a gamble. You don't know when the alky pump will lose seal or you forget to fill up the tank just once and boom goes your motor. Yes you can rebuild the pump every year like Julio suggests and that is a viable practice. I have been cautioned on using E85 from the pump as opposed to VP Fuels or similar fuel companies. The ethanol content can vary from batch to batch at the pump and without the flex fuel sensor you may have some issues with it.

You will need to do some tuning on it going to E85 anyways but I am interested to see the results.

Good luck.

Double-L you are going to love the 6870 it makes amazing power, i have it and my tires are crying for help as it rips them apart. The tuning with your combo will make a big difference, all the best.R
I agree. The turbo is not the issue, you need the correct converter to drive the turbo properly. Your heads flow much better on the exhaust side than irons do so you are more efficient at lower boost levels.

If it were me, I would switch to E85 and the FAST unit now. Chips and low 9 second cars are a bad idea in my book but that is just me. Relying on two separate fuel systems to function correctly is a gamble. You don't know when the alky pump will lose seal or you forget to fill up the tank just once and boom goes your motor. Yes you can rebuild the pump every year like Julio suggests and that is a viable practice. I have been cautioned on using E85 from the pump as opposed to VP Fuels or similar fuel companies. The ethanol content can vary from batch to batch at the pump and without the flex fuel sensor you may have some issues with it.

You will need to do some tuning on it going to E85 anyways but I am interested to see the results.

Good luck.
Reggie has hit the nail on the head, i totally agree with his opinion, address the converter and fuel management system to take advantage of the turbo. Cheers