6CZF Buildup Questions v 1.0

jmd

Well it is time to replace the broken 700-R4 in my 87 [no second gear] with the 6CZF that was in it before [and originally out of my 86.]

Brief history: Bought an 86 SS in 1996 with 99.944 mlies. Installed B&M Shift Improver kit before it hit 100k. Trans ran good. Converted that car to manual; kept the trans. My 87 SS came w/ a "rebuilt" 8CAF that was inconsistent in shift points and well... sucked. So the 6CZF went in. About 55k later the bellhousing bolts backed out. The snout on the original 86 D5 broke. And other than the trans needing higher pressure[?] to hit 4th gear (95mph would do it; so would on/off/on/off throttling it) it worked fine.

Where I'm at: I have an ATSG manual. I have rebuilt several T56s & have sufficient tools in my garage. I have done about 8 hours of reading on this forum in the past week and taken a lot of notes. I used to be on the gnttype email list back to 1997. My 6CZF sits with the pan off and TCC sol removed and the pump out. The stator support has the splines half worn away. I already plan on replacing the stator-to-pump torx bolts with hex head grade 5 bolts M6x1.0? [I read that on this forum as a recommended thing to do.]

Things I have not yet done: bought any specialty tools for the 200-4R. I plan on getting a dial indicator from H.F. I searched tonight and read these:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/169654-where-buy-tranny-overhaul-tools.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/161757-home-engineered-pump-alignment-band.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/70842-tools-trans-rebuild.html

My actual questions:

• The ATSG refers to checking servo pin length. Since this is a known transmission w/ stock servo do I need to do this? Obviously the trans w/ 185k will get a new band and more than likely I'll do an upgrade on the servo. With a new band & keeping my stock servo would I be starting from scratch anyway thus negating this measurement during disassembly? With a new band & servo I guess that would definitely negate the effort. Thoughts?
  • Reading up to the OD unit end play measurement; I was planning on putting the pump back in so as to do this measurement. Here begins the stupid questions: Do I even need to do this measurement. I'm thinking yes. Do I need to put the pump back in so as to do this measurement? Is it really any more difficult than setting up the dial. ind and lifting the input w/ my hand?

I will be taking my time on this rebuild and getting frustrated and educated along the way. But I've done enough manuals and it's time to get my feet wet on an auto.

Get the CK manual. I believe both of the questions are answered in it.

There is way to much to cover here. You need the CK manual. You do need to get a low/reverse center support install/removal tool. You do need to adjust the end play in the trans back to front. The pump needs to be installed to measure the play. Leave off the o-ring while checking. Dont replace pump rotor or slide without verifying clearance. If the rotor and housing look good then reinstall the pump parts the same way they came out. If not i suggest getting a new pump assembly from CK. You cant simply swap out parts in the pumps. Clearance needs to be .0007-00015in. Most replacement pumps are oversize. Use hardened pump rings and replace the slide springs. Be sure to install a recalibration kit with larger boost valves. I like CK's with the new design plate.

You do need to get a low/reverse center support install/removal tool.

I will keep that in mind. Hadn't really gotten that far with my reading / remembering yet.

You do need to adjust the end play in the trans back to front. The pump needs to be installed to measure the play. Leave off the o-ring while checking.

Thank you very much.

Dont replace pump rotor or slide without verifying clearance. If the rotor and housing look good then reinstall the pump parts the same way they came out. If not i suggest getting a new pump assembly from CK. You cant simply swap out parts in the pumps. Clearance needs to be .0007-00015in. Most replacement pumps are oversize. Use hardened pump rings and replace the slide springs. Be sure to install a recalibration kit with larger boost valves. I like CK's with the new design plate.

I appreciate you bringing that up. I did read and understood the clearance issues in the FAQ / big post by Bruce; thusly, I understand that I can't just disassemble / replace parts / reassemble the pump without some careful measurements at a minimum. :) I had not gotten to the point of what new pump to use. I would enjoy rebuilding mine and would simply like to go 10-vane, but I don't understand the purchasing of a matched vane-set from GM, even though I buy Delco parts all the time.

I have R&R'd servos before, but I don't believe I understand how to measure the servo pin as-mentioned in the ATSG, without having the tool. Maybe it's quite simple and I need to just dig-in?

In re: Chris's book, I am planning on it but a really big (at least to me) hospital EOB just came in, so budget-wise I am biding my time. :) I'd like to disassemble, learn and understand the trans. better, then do my parts ordering, book included; bass-ackwards as that may be.

Thank you.
-Matthew

I will keep that in mind. Hadn't really gotten that far with my reading / remembering yet.

Thank you very much.

I appreciate you bringing that up. I did read and understood the clearance issues in the FAQ / big post by Bruce; thusly, I understand that I can't just disassemble / replace parts / reassemble the pump without some careful measurements at a minimum. :) I had not gotten to the point of what new pump to use. I would enjoy rebuilding mine and would simply like to go 10-vane, but I don't understand the purchasing of a matched vane-set from GM, even though I buy Delco parts all the time.

I have R&R'd servos before, but I don't believe I understand how to measure the servo pin as-mentioned in the ATSG, without having the tool. Maybe it's quite simple and I need to just dig-in?

In re: Chris's book, I am planning on it but a really big (at least to me) hospital EOB just came in, so budget-wise I am biding my time. :) I'd like to disassemble, learn and understand the trans. better, then do my parts ordering, book included; bass-ackwards as that may be.

Thank you.
-Matthew
Should have typed .0015. on the high end pump clearance

I just attained a J-25014 on eBay so now I can do the intermediate band servo pin measurement.

And that finalizes my questions in this thread.

Pump parts

GM has several thicknesses of pump parts which makes clearancing the
pump possible. With those aftermarket pump sets, the thickness is whatever
they happen to be. I'm sure that you're more than qualified to rebuild the 200-4r, but if you need any advice send me an e-mail. Have you tried
AutomotiveTools.Com - The most comprehensive source for Automotive Tools & Equipment ? I bought my low/reverse tool from them. The
bushing drivers for a 700-r4 will install several of the 200-4r's bushings, too.