7 Quart oil pan vs Stock

My motivation for the deeper pan is oil capacity. I've always used higher capacity oil pans on my V8's. Just made sense to me so I thought I would see what the TB community thought of it.

I thought your motivation was low oil pressure when hot from reading your original post.

If capacity is your motivation then by all means get one as long as you don't think ground clearance will be an issue. The stock pan is about 5 and 1/2" from pan rail to drain plug and the RJC is 7". Stock pan is about 1/2" from the bottom of A frame and RJC will go past it by about an inch depending on mounts and their condition.

Bottoming it out won't likely be an issue except in extreme situations.

I thought your motivation was low oil pressure when hot from reading your original post.

If capacity is your motivation then by all means get one as long as you don't think ground clearance will be an issue. The stock pan is about 5 and 1/2" from pan rail to drain plug and the RJC is 7". Stock pan is about 1/2" from the bottom of A frame and RJC will go past it by about an inch depending on mounts and their condition.

Bottoming it out won't likely be an issue except in extreme situations.

One in the same. More oil = Less heat = Better oil pressure. That's my theory anyway.

An oil cooler will give you what your looking for, definitely more than two extra quarts in the system will.

If you use the stock oil cooler you will get both. More capacity however little it may be and better cooling.

The only gain you will get in more capacity since you don't race the car is longer intervals between oil changes since it will absorb more contaminates and since you already change the oil more than you need to it's just ten bucks more out the window depending on cost/brand of oil you use every time you change the oil.

You need to do what you feel is best for you. You can always add a cooler later or hook the stock one back up if your rad has the provision for it if need be.

I've been down this road before and was only trying to help. Your results may be different, let us know how it works for you.

I've wondered about this myself as my car sits pretty low and I want to upgrade both pans in it too. However, after looking at the vulnerability of the trans pan now I'm not so sure.

We use HDPE (high-density polyethylene plastic) as a skid surface on Jeeps. But you'd have to add structure to that stuff or else it might break (if hit right)?

Although a strip of aluminum sheet might work, however, you'd still have to bend it and fasten it and that would make it even lower at that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk