7 second Buick T-Type build!

lt1badbird

Rigid Race Cars has been doing work on a few local Grand Nationals and T-types for several years now with much success. Both Dave Fiscus and Tony Gomes have Rigid Race Cars built turbo setups on their class leading TSO buicks. both have been 7.9x's @ over 170mph. We were recently contacted by another local buick racer who decided he was tired of other shops cracking, leaky turbo setups and wanted to run with the big dogs.

Bobby Don dropped his pristine Buick T-type at the shop with instructions to make him run with Dave and Tony. He wanted the same turbo setup and more!

when he dropped the car off it was sporting

T/A Aluminum Block
Stage II heads
precision pt-88 Turbo
Boost - 25 psi (more left)
precision Front Mount Intercooler
CPP Sheetmetal Intake
ATR / CPP Headers
CPP 4in Downpipe
Weldon Fuel Pump
400 trans w/4800 satll
and a 9 in Rear End

YouTube - Bobby Don's Stock Supension GN Testing on slicks[/url]

The car is getting a 321 stainless turbo kit starting with SPD CNC machined stainless flanges and 321 stainless collecters

the PT-88 is being tossed in place of a garrett GT47-88

the old mild steel 4'' dowmpipe and 4'' exhaust will be replaced by a 4.5'' to 4'' aluminum downpipe to a full 4'' aluminum exhaust

the precision intercooler and cast end tanks will be replaced with a garrett 28x13x5 bar and plate core with custom fabricated sheet metal end tanks as well as a completely redone aluminum cold side piping

we will also be making some modification to the sheet metal intake on the car in regards to the TB flange and its current mounting angle, to allow for more room for piping.

Here's the car as tear down began

picture.php

the engine bay all torn down and ready to start the build

picture.php
[/IMG]

The pile of old hotside and cold side parts, as well as the Pt-88. You can see the sheet metal intake there too. changes will be made to move the tb angle so its straight out and not angled down.

picture.php

The old Precision Intercooler still mounted on the car

picture.php

Here in one of the SPD stainless flanges bolted up in the car ready to start the header mock up

picture.php

and some of the material for the build. Aluminum 5'' on 5'' clr mandrel bends for the dowmpipe. and 321 stainless bends for the headers as well as SPD 321 merge collectors

picture.php

picture.php

end of this week is our deadline. car should be in bowling green. were located in the east side of cincy, of 275. eastgate batavia area

Thanks for sharing, I love watching a quality build come together!

thought you guys might enjoy seeing this one come together. Heres the setup we built on Tonys car

5215_100924503254657_100000113233387_12853_3410495_n.jpg

You guys will also be fabricating something for 3 coils to mount to each valve cover :D I'll bring the COP brackets for production heads with me Wednesday. Now get busy j/k ;)

damn the sight of them flanges gave me a chub..:p:p

Nice work,just think what you could do to the TTA

That is a HUGE turbo, it looks like the exhaust side is as big as my head :eek:.

It's a precision 88mm. You can also see we have custom T4 flanges made with t6 bolt pattern also that will allow the easy swap back and forth from t4 to t6 housing for differnt races/and or classes

that would be a better question for the owner or maybe Cal would know. We had no hand in that, Thanks!

Talk about some nice eye candy. More pics and info as it comes along would be great.

Does Bobby have another T-Type? That's not the Category 6 car, is it??? :confused:

The Cat 6 car had twins on it and a big decal on the side of it.