71 GTQ Actuator Rod

TrboHead

I have a question for those using a GTQ with HD actuator.
My HD Actuator rod is not lining up very good even though I bought the actuator for the GTQ. The actuator has a tab welded to it and fits but it's so tight that it hits the bottom of the turbo along with the top of the water pump neck. It's so tight I can't bend it to get a straight shot to the waste gate lever. The rod hooks up but it's almost in a bind or pulled it to the side in order to connect the rod to the waste gate lever. Seems to work but just concerned it's in a bind.
I could bend the rod by dog legging it to get a better straight shot at the lever. :D

TrboHead said:
I could bend the rod by dog legging it to get a better straight shot at the lever. :D

Ive seen a 70 GTQ set up just like that.It will work just fine as long as you have enough rod lenght left over for adjustability.

Should I bend the rod like a dog leg so it won't put a bind on the actuator or just leave it alone. I'm actually having an overboosting problem and thought that the bind on the rod could be part of my problem. It's hitting 21-22 lbs of boost and I can't get anything lower. Would this be normal for a HD Wastegate with the rod barely slipping on the lever to keep it closed? I actually put a spring on the back side of the rod to help lesson the wastegate spring pressure to see if that would lower the boost but it didn't really do anything. I'm trying to run pump gas with about 17 lbs. This thing is a monster to control...
It will work great at the track but I'm just trying to rip down the road.

Looks like I will need a non HD wastegate to get the boost down. Went to the track and the lowest I could get it to run was 24 lbs. This is great for track but not for street abuse...

TrboHead said:
Looks like I will need a non HD wastegate to get the boost down. Went to the track and the lowest I could get it to run was 24 lbs. This is great for track but not for street abuse...
You probably need to enlarge the wastegate hole in the exhaust housing of the turbo. Thats what i had to do to mine when i had that problem.

Went to the track last night. Long story short is I pulled the puck open and wired it so it was wide open (yes open). I hit 28 lbs. of boost in 2nd gear and it was still climbing!!!!! I floored it again in 3rd and it hit 27 lbs.
I measured my wastgate hole and it measured 15/16 a little less than an inch. I run a Terry Houston pipe with a 1 1/4 flapper puck.
I don't know if enlarging the hole enough to match my 1 1/4 puck will controll the boost or not. Should I get a bigger puck or should it be big enough. At this point I'm thinking of getting a new down pipe with a bigger puck. I really like the RJC 5 inch DP set up. What are you actuator guys doing to controll the boost on this monster turbo and how big of a hole be enough?

Well I fixed my overboost problem. Ported the wastgate hole about 1/8 all around and it was enough to bring the boost under control. Now it hits 16 lbs instead of 28. I should of ported it to begin with but I would think a 1 inch whole in the side of a turbo would be enough exhaust bleed.
Can't believe that was all it was and that tiny bit of porting was enough to make that much of a difference.