83 Regal into Turbo

Smokin the Buick

This Actuator did not come with this turbo.. I just got this from E-bay not too long ago.. I was thinking this was for a differnt year too.. This is the only position I could of put it in for the rod to work the lever.
Is there some kind of an L bracket or something that bolts up to the exhaust side of the turbo and holds it securly to the manifold ? I see a flat on the bottom of it with a threaded hole. without a good support on this side of the turbo all the weight would be just on the aluminum foot....not to good.. :)

Vince,

after looking over your turbo, by the type of plenum you have I can see you need an 79 80 81 intake. Also you intake now has the correct water neck for the earlier intake so it will help reduce intake swap cost. as such, it seems that all i have in stock is 79-81 intake.

so if an 80 or 81 aluminum intake is ok with you I can get it sent out by late tomorrow.

let me know what you decide.

A.j.

the part number I have for the gaskets is Fel-Pro ES72537

However......... this set is discontinued. I got lucky and found somebody who had 1 in stock.... just one.

I did see that JC Whitney has a set, but the part number is different... so I am unsure if it is actually a 301 set... or just a reboxed 231 set. there enough difference to not warrent the 30 dollar investment to me if its wrong.

This is where the dilemma for the 301 housing begins..... the 301 units are hard enough to find, but add in the fact that there are no factory gasket sets left, Im really starting to see the 301 as not a viable swap option.

what are your thoughts?

A.j.

I just ordered 3 for $18.00 each with free shipping Aj. I'll send you a link after I get them. I want to make sure they're the right ones but it's the right part number and vehicle. Seems like the best deal.

Vince,

after looking over your turbo, by the type of plenum you have I can see you need an 79 80 81 intake. Also you intake now has the correct water neck for the earlier intake so it will help reduce intake swap cost. as such, it seems that all i have in stock is 79-81 intake.

so if an 80 or 81 aluminum intake is ok with you I can get it sent out by late tomorrow.

let me know what you decide.

A.j.

Go with the 79 intake and plug the EGR holes at the head except for the one on the center of the drivers head. This will allow some heat but not enough to cause a detonation issue when you're running the car.

As far as gasket matereal, AZ has some metal re-enforced gasket stuff in large sheets that should work for you if you can cut it. I've used it before for the connection on last gen trucks for the connection to the converters. Have to cut it with a hole saw but it holds up fairly well.

charlie send me that part number too im going to need it.

ES72537 is the part number I did a search for Matt. I found someone on Amazon selling them for slightly less than $18 so I ordered 3 of them, with free shipping to boot. Gotta think of the future after all since it's been discontinued. Don't order it yet until I get the parts in. I want to make sure it's the right parts after all.:smile:

i wont i will wait till you get them. i just have a quick question does the machine shop you told me about weld the 301 turbo foot or do i have to do that? what do they actually do for the $100?

i wont i will wait till you get them. i just have a quick question does the machine shop you told me about weld the 301 turbo foot or do i have to do that? what do they actually do for the $100?

That's what he quoted me without cutting the inlet Matt. It shouldn't be much more to use a parting tool and cut the height to the right size. Send him some questions and tell me when so I can make sure to help him with it. This will make easier for both of us in the end.

He quoted me for moving the mounting flange (feet) and cutting an 8 degree angle to smooth the inlet. I didn't have him figure cutting the size down but it shouldn't be too much more.

i will tell you when. as soon as a.j. gets back to me and we do our trade; my 301 housing for his 301 housing and 301 blades i will do the machine work to get the turbo to work in my car.

Smokin the Buick

When you say plug the EGR holes on the head except the drivers side.. What exactly are you talking about...Welding it or some kind of epoxy?? might be eaiser to weld the manifold since it is aluminum.. not by me...but by a good welder..:smile:

When you say plug the EGR holes on the head except the drivers side.. What exactly are you talking about...Welding it or some kind of epoxy?? might be eaiser to weld the manifold since it is aluminum.. not by me...but by a good welder..:smile:

You can plug it with epoxy or weld it over. The epoxy will last well enough but make sure that the center hole in the drivers side head location needs to be left open for some heat under the intake. You don't need that much epoxy to fill the intake but just block the EGR ports. If you weld them then you'll have to machine it back down square which isn't cheap.

Smokin the Buick

Back a long time ago with my Last High Compression engine..I remember sliding in thin sheet of Stainless steel over a EGR port.. The gasket seemed to not even know it was there and did not leak.. Maybe I will give that a go first. Also remember making a SS block off gasket and sliding it under my EGR valve so it would go through inspection. It made a big differance in performance too..:smile:

i think i already have the gaskets for the 301.:confused: here are the pics.

Attachments

• SDC10385.jpg
    SDC10385.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 81
  • SDC10386.jpg
    SDC10386.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 83
  • SDC10387.jpg
    SDC10387.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 81
The other thing is look at how much the center of the turbo is inside of the gasket. That's why I had the throat cut at an angle to open it up a little more. A smoother transition to cut down on restriction will help some. Jerry told me it is at an 8 degree angle so that'll help some. Let's stop hijacking Vince's thread now so he can get the answers and help he's looking for.

Smokin the Buick

A.J. thanks for shipping out that manifold !!! Can't wait to get it..
Looking at those gaskets above and the material looks the same stuff I got at my local hardware store...are my eyes lieing to me ?? I am waiting for some high heat resistant material now to make a new set up.. A.J. just let me know how you want me to pay you..:smile:

i think this question fits this post; what type of turbo is the stock 231 v6 draw-thru turbo a T3 right?:confused: Is the 301 turbo a T3 too. Is the rebuild kit for the stock turbo and the 301 the same.:confused:

But the mounting flange for the plenum and turbo to intake are different Matt. You need to look at the turbo thread again.