83 t-type n78 wheels

buick83-T

83' T-type
Anyone know what the largest size tire you can go up to on rear with the stock 83 t-type n78 wheels(14")?

whats the rim width? my car club at least for the FWD A-bodies, have found that 225s and 235s can fit 6 and 6.5 wide wheels for 14" wheels, while finding that 205s and 215s at the widest were OK on the 5.5" wide 14" wheels...so if the N78s are 6.5s-7"s, I've no doubt that 225-235s will fit just fine. be mighty hard to find that size in 14" radials though.....best bet would be 215s, but even that can be a crapshoot.

I got 235's on my 14's

how wide the 14s?

Charlie, wanna hear something funny?

people are putting 235s on 14s for their citations! by the way,. the AWESOME thing is that most of these citations need the tread, because they have 3800 SC swaps, 4.9 cad swaps, some turbo 2.8s, not sure what else, i think i recall something about a 350 SBC with archie v8 trans adapter?

anyways! back to topic.

235s on 6 wide IS flimsy.

widest i ran on 14s were 5.5s and 205s, but apparently another A-car member has 215s on the same Olds Rally wheels (FWD Rally wheels) so I;m thinking for 6 inches, 225s would be pretty much good size compromise...unless one were to go to say, Stockton Wheels to get the wheels widened...they quoted me $450 or so for a set of 4, plus shipping, for making my Olds FWD Rally wheels into 14x7s with 4.5" back spacing, .25 less than the OEM backspacing....theory being its better to have less back spacing for the wheels than too much since the A-arm/strut is not really accomodating, nevermind the fact people put ARE wheels with 5.625 backspacings! lol.

I'm sure on a FWD car you can find a better wheel in a 15 or 16 inch. I remember all those idiots that used to put super wide 13's on them in the 80's and early 90's.

depending on the engine, yeah i get it :) i really wish someone would make a 24.7" overall diameter 205 series for 13" wheels, but i'm going to have to go to 14s if i want to maintain the same overall diameter while bumping the width....(185/80s on 13s equal 195/70 on 14s and VERY close for 205/65s) anyhow. also nobody currently makes RWLs in 185/80s....only 205-215/50-60s which are an inch smaller overall, doesn't quite look right to me lol.
largest wheels that looked good to me on the A-cars, were 17s and that was pushing it..16s work great on these....i've seen on CL ads in SF for 26" equipped Century T TYpe for $4500 (Id only offer $500 and he can keep the wheels lol)

as for better wheels in 15-16s, i was wanting the deep dish look, practically NONE of the FWD wheels offered in 5x115 these days are like that...all the bigger wheels have the extra width to the inside, increasing backspacing...I had measured the distance of the fender to hub, there's 5 inches of space at the lowest point, 3 inches at the highest point....for the look i was going for back then, I wanted the wheels to have a RWD deep dish look.....like the Olds Rally wheels from the 442s and W machines. I had calculated that 7 inches with 4.5 back spacing would work for it since it only adds 2 inches to the width on the outside face and 1.5 to the back width, which wont rub on anything fully turned either way :) (to a stock 5.5 OEM wheel that is)

Before I swapped to 16's I had 245/60/14's on the stock rims.

Bigger pics located here. http://pat83t.tripod.com/id21.html

Also, those are 205/70r14's up front. Same overall relative height with almost 2" more width on the rear.

Attachments

• de45.jpg
    de45.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 133
Glad to see you on again Pat. You really did have a nice car and I'm sorry you got rid of her.

No problem with the 245's handling on the rear at all. In fact it helped even it out after adding the Monte jounce bars and Pontiac F41 bar to the front. Also, the only reason I changed to the 16's is cause I got a smoking deal on a full set of polished torque thrusts and tires for $500 off a friends S10.

Too add to this, you may have a hard time finding a tire shop that is willing to mount the 245's to the stock wheels. Only reason I got mine mounted on there both times I did it is cause I worked in a tire shop at the time and I did it myself.