84/85 Conversion to 86/87 ECM

MSKBuick

Does any one have a step by step direction or guide to converting from the 84/85 ECM to the 86/87 ECM? I have all ready used the Coil & Module Converter to convert to the 86/87 Coil and Module, and now I would like to convert to the 86/87 ECM, also I followed some manual instructions that say my ECM is bad, hence why I would like to convert. So, I have a few questions.

Can I just purchase an 86/87 ECM from say NAPA and plug it into my ECM connectors?

Do I remove my cal-pak and put it in the 86/87 ECM, then where do I get an Chip for this, chip suggestions?

Can I use the 86/87 MAF sensor?, will it plug into the 84/85 MAF connector?, or should I get get a MAF translator when I get a Chip, suggestions?

Do I need to change my cam sensor to an 86/87, I thought they were the same?

I also have purchased the MAT installation kit, can I purchase the connectors or pin (where from?) and put it into my ECM connector if the 84/85 connector plugs into the 86/87 ECM, once I know what pin it goes to?

Lastly, I was thinking about the fan relay kit, either now or later, for ECM control, still have the mechanical fan and not electric, can I put this off for later or should I do it now while I am converting.

Did I forget any thing else?

Thank you

Does any one have a step by step direction or guide to converting from the 84/85 ECM to the 86/87 ECM? I have all ready used the Coil & Module Converter to convert to the 86/87 Coil and Module, and now I would like to convert to the 86/87 ECM, also I followed some manual instructions that say my ECM is bad, hence why I would like to convert. So, I have a few questions.

Can I just purchase an 86/87 ECM from say NAPA and plug it into my ECM connectors?

Do I remove my cal-pak and put it in the 86/87 ECM, then where do I get an Chip for this, chip suggestions?

Can I use the 86/87 MAF sensor?, will it plug into the 84/85 MAF connector?, or should I get get a MAF translator when I get a Chip, suggestions?

Do I need to change my cam sensor to an 86/87, I thought they were the same?

I also have purchased the MAT installation kit, can I purchase the connectors or pin (where from?) and put it into my ECM connector if the 84/85 connector plugs into the 86/87 ECM, once I know what pin it goes to?

Lastly, I was thinking about the fan relay kit, either now or later, for ECM control, still have the mechanical fan and not electric, can I put this off for later or should I do it now while I am converting.

Did I forget any thing else?

Thank you

You can purchase the ECM from NAPA and it will plug in. You can also get one from a junk yard. Ask at the counter. It plugs right in.

Get an 86/87 MAF- it plugs right in. The translator and LS type MAF work as well.

The Caspers MAT conversion kit has everthing you need and instructions.

The Calpak chip is moved from your old ECM to the 86/87 ECM.

The fan relay conversion kit can wait. This kit can only handle a single fan. If you want to run dual fans you need to add the Caspers dual fan 86/87 relay kit. It attaches to the single fan conversion kit with a minor pin change.

Good Luck, Brad

86/87 ECM conversion

Thanks Brad, do I remove my cal-pak from my ECM and place it in the 86/87 ECM? And do I still need to get a chip from some one in order to run, if so any recommendations?

The calpak chip in the 84/85 computer is the same as the 86/87. You do need to get a stock 86/87 chip in order to run. If you get a computer from the Junk yard the chips will not not work. GM used the same computer on different cars with different chips. Gpod Luck, Brad

so what if your swaping to the newer ecm and have a casper chip with the thumb wheel. will that work in place of the stock 86-87 chip to make it run?

No- The Casper tumbwheel 84/85 chip will not work on an 86/87 ECM. I recommend a Turbotweak chip burned to your cars modifications. Good luck. Brad