84 with no power and popping in the exhaust

EyeTalk2Trees

I need some help with this 84 GN.

First, it started when I was trying to get it to run smoothly when it was cold. I did the exercise with the IAC as described somewhere here. Now it idles fairly smoothly but it pops in the exhaust. Sometimes on its own but most of the time when I hit the accelerator. Note - I have some 87 stuff on this GN. The FP is still at 30 Pounds. I didn't touch the cam or crank sensors. I am using TurboLink 3 (4 won't work for some reason) to help me with the settings.

Also, before the car ran. In fact when it was warm, it ran extremely well. Now it will hardly pull itself. I mean my daughter’s Saturn can out run me.

What did I forget to check? Or what should I try to look out now.

It sounds like you still have the 84 ecm. If I were you I would defiantly switch to a 86/87. You will be able to get a lot more info out of your turbo link. It is also fairly cheep $50 on here or $25 in a salvage yard. Plus you have a lot more options when it comes to a chip. Did you adjust the TPS after you corrected the IAC? This can affect the performance. With the popping does it sound like an exhaust leek or a backfire??

David

The GN has an 87 ECM. Conley did the work about 4 years ago. TurbiLink won't link with the 84 settings, only with the 87 settings.

Yes, I did the TPS adjustment, like the instructions said.

The popping sounds like small backfires in the exhaust and not an exhaust leek.

What are normal values for each sensor on TurboLink. Information like that may help me see the problem if the problem is electrical. Do you have a good file that I can look at?