85 nasty nash

Nasty Nash

Whats going on peeps new to the forum i have a 1985 grand national hot air set up havent done any major mods besides exhaust, rims, and change oil. What are some basics i can do to the car to the car to get more hp outta it?

step 1: swap in an 87 ecm from the local junkyard and put a turbotweak chip in it... it's well worth the $120 or so it will cost..

There are 2 stickys in this section that you might want to read. first is the top 3 mods for a HA and the other is about diagnostics.;)

step 1: swap in an 87 ecm from the local junkyard and put a turbotweak chip in it... it's well worth the $120 or so it will cost..[/quot
step 1: swap in an 87 ecm from the local junkyard and put a turbotweak chip in it... it's well worth the $120 or so it will cost..
How do i know which chip is the right 1 for my car i looked them up on ebay and a few popped out like stage1 or stage 2 chips im guessing im stage 1 right???

Well...that depends on your goals. How fast do you want to go? 60's are quite common and can take you a long way, especially with alky on top.

Well...that depends on your goals. How fast do you want to go? 60's are quite common and can take you a long way, especially with alky on top.
Well pretty much just make it a lil bit faster then what the stock set up is. Its my daily driver so i dont want it braking down on me everytime i change something

keep your stock injectors for now... just get a junkyard ecm- don't tell them it's for a Grand National or they might jack the price up... tell them it's for an 87 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with the 3.8.. the sticker on the side will have the number 1227148 on it...

then go to www.turbotweak.com and order your chip...

actually, the first thing you should do is take out the single screw in the kick panel and pull your ecm out to see what you have- it might have already been upgraded to the newer style and have a good chip in it already, which would free up money for other stuff..

Ok cool ima check that out right now but once i look at it how do i know if its stock or not?? Once this is all said and done and i do get that new chip and ecm how much hp will that give my car?? And will i feel a difference?

Ok cool ima check that out right now but once i look at it how do i know if its stock or not?? Once this is all said and done and i do get that new chip and ecm how much hp will that give my car?? And will i feel a difference?

Novaderrick is right on here. The first step is upgrade the computer so you can make changes to timing, fuel, and ability to attach a scan tool. This is a tuner car. There is no performance upgrade with the computer and chip. Brad

IMG_20130801_190008_262.jpg

Novaderrick is right on here. The first step is upgrade the computer so you can make changes to timing, fuel, and ability to attach a scan tool. This is a tuner car. There is no performance upgrade with the computer and chip. Brad

You sure there is no performance to gain? I would think that better overall drivability would certainly increase performance.

Nash..don't read too much into what I say. Brad and Nova know more than I do without doubt. I just always shoot out questions,

that's the stock ecm... just for fun, pop the little cover off and take a pic of the chip so someone can tell you if it's stock or not...

but either way, the 86/87 ecm with a TurboTweak chip is the way to go. once you get the new ecm, you will need to transfer the smaller of the 2 chips from your stock ecm to the new one..