86/87 coil and module

pisano

what are the benefits of changing it to 86/87 coil and module and instead of using an adapter cant you just cut the wires and move them to the new spots?

The 86/87 coils are more affordable when they need to be replaced- the originals are almost impossible to find and if you do are very expensive- I wouldn't recommend cutting the wires when a adapter is plug and play. my .02

i had to buy a new coil couple months ago it was 80 bucks at oreillys that seems to be the average price for coils?

The supposed advantage of the 86/87 module is that it limits the primary current "in-module" where the 84/85 version relies on a resistor in the harness wiring.

The advantage of the 86/87 coil pack is that you can buy one. It's actually what AC Delco now applies to all 84-87, but it's a bit smaller than original 84/85 so they also sell a bridge bracket (very cheap) to install on the 84/85 module. Everybody and his brother sells an 86/87 coil and a bridge bracket.

i dont think i have the bridge bracket i noticed mine is smaller than the old one

They're sold separately, for 84/85 cars, since the coil is sold for 86/87 cars. RockAuto shows the following....

...under Ignition Coil Mounting Bracket:

Airtex/Wells 4C1003 -- $6.59 (pic shows both gaskets too)
AC Delco D4002 -- $7.97

....and on Closeout under Ignition Coil Housing:

Kemparts 344F -- $1.25

Keep in mind that only 3 wires are the same to the 86/87 coil!! That is why an adapter is needed- it will not work just plugging your harness into it!!

You can all so use the pin out procedure from the GNTTYPE.org site and not have to buy the adaptor.