86-87 ECMs

CrashMaster

I have heard that the 86-87 ECMs that are used in the GNs were also used in other GM cars. Does anybody know which ones?

I would also like to be able to do the firmware updates to the ECMs for the bigger injectors. Does anybody here know where I can get the drivers and the equipment to do so?

I appreciate any and all help.

The E.C.M.s come in any 1986 GM front wheel drive with a 3.8L engine. Just look under the dash next to the right kick panel. All you need is a 7 mm socket to remove lower cover, 10 mm wrench to unbolt E.C.M. Service #1227148. Have to use your turbo calpack & chip. I`ve picked up 4 from local Pick-a-Part salvage yards.

The E.C.M.s come in any 1986 GM front wheel drive with a 3.8L engine.

Not to go off topic, but were all 3.8's in the FWD models distributorless by '86?

I myself am out for some used ECM's and figured I was limited to one out of an '86-'87 GN, or an 89 TTA.

Thanks I was not aware of this.

So that means a FWD Cutlass or Century with the 3.8 would have a GN type ECM

Just be sure the # is the same 1227148. You have to change cal pack & chip. I have one in my '86 T Type, runs great.

What happens if limp chip is not removed?

It should still run and not set an error code, but if something goes wrong and you go into limp-mode fueling it will be way off. Of course, if you have injectors bigger than about 50's anyway the stock limp mode will flood the motor pretty badly :)l.