86 GN vs. 2000 Supercharged Roush Mustang

mark_123456

Background: A friend at work and I are always talking about our cars, but we never seem to meet up on the street. However, yesterday was the day.

Me : 86 GN, stock: turbo, intercooler,converter, everything. Mods: see signature. Running 20 lbs of boost.

Him : Roush Supercharged Mustang with a dyno-proven 360 horsepower and at least as much torque. 5 speed. Boost unknown, but now he wants a smaller pulley! :)

Story : I just got the GN back on the road after a vacuum brake conversion and a switch to methanol in my alky kit.

We meet up in the parking lot, and I ask him to take me for a ride in his car. After the ride, I was a little afraid because, from the passenger seat, his car felt fast.

So, once back, I hop in the black beast and ask, no beg, her to do me proud. She fired right up, and we pulled into traffic.

Short on time, we decide to go from about 10 mph. I let him initiate, and then my 255/60's thought that it was a good time to get some traction (he had no traction problems either), and I flew past him.

I had at least 3 1/2 cars by 60 and kept on pulling to about 75 where we ended the race do to traffic.

I think that I've got this car dialed in pretty tight on the stock combo. I hope to get to the track and see what she'll do.

Mark

Nice kill, but I think he needs to learn how to drive. My 99 GT when it had a supercharger made 358 rwhp & 386 rwtq. The first pass I made on street radials against an 89 TTA, I went 12.75 @ 112.xxx in 80 degree weather. With traction, thats the bottom of 12s or high 11.

If he has the Eaton M90 supercharger with the stock pulley, he is only making 360 hp at the engine and about 300 rwhp. then it would make sense that you beat him. No way does he have 360 rwhp. It should be more interesting once he changes the pulley.

"The first pass I made on street radials against an 89 TTA, I went 12.75 @ 112.xxx in 80 degree weather." - Marc

So there is absolutely, positively, no way in heck that Mark's GN can beat a high 12second ride?

Interesting.

Tom

Originally posted by THE ARS
"The first pass I made on street radials against an 89 TTA, I went 12.75 @ 112.xxx in 80 degree weather." - Marc

So there is absolutely, positively, no way in heck that Mark's GN can beat a high 12second ride?

Interesting.

Tom

I don't remember saying that. In many cases, the person beats the driver and not the car. Two totally different things. I have no doubt that he beat him. I whipped a few of them myself back in the day.

I thin his friend was not completely honest about the power his car was making. That was my point. I have the video of that pass on my computer I made against the 89 TTA. He killed me out of the hole that SOB. It was a beautiful car.

"No way does he have 360 rwhp." - Marc

You said you had 358rwhp in a GT and ran 12.75. A Roush is not a GT, it's based on the heavier IRS Cobra.

I say he could very well have 360RWHP in that 4,000lb pig of a Mustang.

I say Mark could very well have 300RWHP in a lighter car that hooks.

You will see that these cars make ungodly amounts of torque with only the most basic mods.

Buicks OWN light to light. That's all I'm saying.

Tom

"No way does he have 360 rwhp." - Marc

You said you had 358rwhp in a GT and ran 12.75. A Roush is not a GT, it's based on the heavier IRS Cobra.

I say he could very well have 360RWHP in that 4,000lb pig of a Mustang.

I say Mark could very well have 300RWHP in a lighter car that hooks.

You will see that these cars make ungodly amounts of torque with only the most basic mods.

Buicks OWN light to light. That's all I'm saying.

Tom

Actually the Roush is based on the GT. It shares everything with the GT with the exception of brakes, suspension, body kit & Roots supercharger. These cars are normally extremely quick usually 0-60 due to the roots type blower and torque down low. I would hope it's not 4K lbs though. My GT was 3580 with me(230 lbs), turbo kit, intercooler and other mods. I doubt the Roush weighs 3,500 lbs w/o driver.

I agree that the GN is definitely quick 0-60 or even 80.

This is Eddc87's sig, I hope he doesn't mind:

Ed @ DC Tech

87 turbo t (white), astro roof, 134,000 miles, stock motor, stock turbo, stock IC with big neck, "alky control" with chip by Eric Marshall 1.50 60 ft. 11.37 @ 116.35 (92+alcohol)

See what I am getting at? It's very tough to beat a nice running Buick in a drag race, forget about one to 75 mph.

Tom

EDIT: Hold on Marc, I didn't see your post. My friend had a Roush, and it was a Cobra.

Maybe they are not all the same?

You are right Marc, the SC Roush is a 2V motor.

I SWEAR, my man's Roush was 4V and IRS, I worked on it, I drove it, I have pics of the door plates and the signed valve covers next to me. Does this sound right?

Tom

You are right Marc, the SC Roush is a 2V motor.

I SWEAR, my man's Roush was 4V and IRS, I worked on it, I drove it, I have pics of the door plates and the signed valve covers next to me. Does this sound right?

Tom

It's ok Tom. We are all in agreement that the GN is an awesome vehicle. Even the guys I know on the mustang boards love the pictures I posted of my GN. Not one negative comment.

My friend owned a performance shop that 98% percent of the customers were mustang owners. I have seen or worked on every poweradder for the 4.6 available. My 99 GT went from being supercharged to turbocharged and I attended almost all of the mustang events on the east coast.

Of course, this was before the baby and the house this year. I have a little experience working on and racing them. ;)

87 turbo t (white), astro roof, 134,000 miles, stock motor, stock turbo, stock IC with big neck, "alky control" with chip by Eric Marshall 1.50 60 ft. 11.37 @ 116.35 (92+alcohol)

That was the most impressive thing I have seen on this board and I told him. This is also very rare and most guys with TA-49s are not running that fast or quick. His combo on his car simply works extremely well and maybe a handful of guys are able to do this with these small mods.