86 t type engine in a '80 monte??

yes i know i am a disgrace to the world of turbo buicks for wrecking my t type but it wasn't my fault. anyway, i have a guy with an '80 monte that sounds like it won't be nearly as quick as my buick was or as fun without a turbo so i was wondering if it would be possible for the buick's engine to fit in the monte. it seems logical because they are both gm but was just wondering if it was possible or if anyone had any experience doing it before.

Sure, the drivetrain will go right in. However, just as in any transplant, the devil's in the details. IMO you'd be better off looking for something newer or lighter to put it in.

The '80 uses the same chassis (almost) as your 86.

The frame will lack the crossmember mount on the drivers side for the 200-4R crossmember, but everything else will bolt in. (you can cut the pad off of your donor car and weld it in the correct location.)

78-80 "A" bodies are unique in there own right. '80 in particular, has items specific to that one year. I dont recall there being too much of a weight difference from 78-80 and 81-87

You have a complete donor car, I assume, so the swap should be straightforward. (with the exception of the crossmember) The dash should bolt in as well, and some'80 models actually have CCC systems so the hole for the ECU harness may be there.

(If you swap the dash, and related stuff, this will facilitate the swap)

Good luck.

Rob

I'm not actually going to be the one doing it, I don't have nearly enough experience or time to but I just wanted to know how easy or hard it was going to be for the guy that i'm going to pay to do it. Thanks for the help it looks like i'm going to go for it although the monte already has a built 355 in it, i just love the turbo motors and think it would be alot cooler to have at some point. I don't think I am going to do it immediately when i get the monte but probably eventually.

Weight...

The weight of 3rd gen Montes is actually lighter than 4th gens, *in general*(enough gen/generals there? ;) ). Which means also lighter than your old 86' T-Type most likely. A friend of mines 79' weighs between 3,200-3,300 IRC. Usually they have less options which explains part of it, like the 78-83' Malibus.

77 is the last year of the BIG A cars... 2nd gen (73-77)

78 is the beginning of the 3rd gen... (78-80)

alright, that settles it. Im going to get it i'm gonna post pics of it too , it is all show and no go, it has the pie cutters on the front and massive rear tires but it isn't that quick at all just looks sweet, when i heard it running it was missing pretty bad, it doesn't have a roof liner, and could use a tune up, i'm gonna try and knock him down to 4,000 because the guys loaded either way.