'87 3.8 --> '89 Tta 3.8?

sheckyZ28

I have some questions for you guys. First of all I am in the works of converting a 86-87 GN 3.8 to a 89 TTA 3.8. Id like to know where I can find headers, new or used. Next one, what is the differerence between the 87 GN wiring harness and the 89 TTA wiring harness? Im going to be using 3.0L heads from a '86 LeSabre, and because of that I'm going to need individual stud mounted rockers instead of shaft mounted rocker arms. What vaulvetrain parts, from the pushrods on up am I going to need to use. Last thing, (for now), engine mounts, where can i find them?

About the motormounts, GOOD LUCK on finding originals, and they are no longer produced. "GRUMPY" says you can't use stock GN mounts (Frame or block) but this guy says you can.

http://www.tta850.com/tgta

I'm not sure yet, haven't gotten far enough in my swap:(

As far as the GN mounts I used them with no problems(motor and frame)after being told from someone else on this board that he used them on two camaro swaps.I have pics up on my page which roc87 posted,although I'm being delayed now because the subframe has to be exchanged with one that will clear the stock steering,I was hoping to have the car running by the end of this week but it will be 1-2 weeks before I see the new subframe :(

Steve

steve

what happend i thought u had the rack to put in that car thought u wanted to save the weight thats where most of the weight is save with getting rid of that heavy steering

george

George,yeah thats what I was originally going to do,and I got the subframe that works with that idea too.But was unable to find a sutible rack for what I wanted,most of the racks are non power and have like 4 turns lock to lock,I like the steering feel of the stock setup and the around 2 turns lock to lock.

I'm trying to get the car done right now but when it is I'm going to start looking into a sutible rack setup and swap it in at that point,it's easy and can be done with the motor in no problem.

Steve

BTW how's your car coming?

Does anyone know why a 86-87 wiring harness wont work on a 89 TTA? Is there any unthought of problems you guys who have done this swap ran into? Any advice you guys might have would be nice too.

The 86-87 GN harness and the 89 TTA harness are different,and designed for different cars.

Now the 86-87 harness can work on an f-body swap,you'd have to combine it with your existing harness but why bother with the hassel and potential electrical problems if a TTA harness is still avalible?

Just my .02

Steve

TTA850

did you check a rack for a 5.0 rustang ?

on g-bodys a few of us guys around here have used then but we used manual racks so im not sure of the lock to lock on a power rack.

just thought id toss it at ya
later

The power Mustang racks have a 15:1 ratio and are 2.5 turns lock to lock when installed on a Mustang or T Bird. You can get them really cheap too.

I have a few TTA harnesses :D

Attachments

• ttaharness.jpg
    ttaharness.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 112
I have to check out those mustang racks then,sounds close to a stock f-body ratio thanks.

Dan,is that a new harness?If so how much.Thanks and one more thing I've been meaning to ask you,remember that front mount intercooler I got from you?What ever happened to the scoop?Thanks

Steve

Putting a 5.0 rack into a TTA.....

Next thing you know, some guy is going to put a TTA engine into a 5.0! :)

:D:D:D Hmm...I wonder who that could be...:D:D:D

F-Body Swap!

The 3.8L Buick Swap into the 82-92 F-Body is a excellent choice.
As TTA850 posted:As far as the GN mounts I used them with no problems(motor and frame)after being told from someone else on this board that he used them on two camaro swaps.
We used the Stock GN Frame mounts and the HR Parts N Stuff poly motor mounts to install both engines in the Camaros.
Here is the link to our web site:www.powerconceptsinc.net
On here there is a few pic's of the one 86 Camaro we installed the engine/trans/9" with 3:89 Gears 35spline axels,locker,full 10pt cage cert. to 7.50's ect. There will be alot more details on the pages in the next month describing the swap and wiring details.
We used the stock GN wiring harness along with The new FAST system(speedpro). Digital cluster and stock 86 shifter. If you have any questions about the swap please mail me I'll be glad to help
Thanks, Scott Klepinger, Power Concepts,Inc.:cool:

swap

can anyone tell me exactly what wires need to be changed or re-pinned in order to install a TTA harness into a 1985 Trans Am

I deciphered the pin-outs for the c100 connector on the TTA harness, but am uncertain what if any changes I need to make to adaquately operate with the stock 85 TA c100 firewall bulkhead connection and the c209 and c207 connectors.

any help and insight is appreciated.

Sheckyz28 ---- Send me the part number for the 86-87 GN wiring harness and I will tell you what the differences are between the GN and the T-A. Turbota
(I have the original TTA print)

Headers !!!

Sheckyz28,

I have a extra passanger side TTA header , that can be for sale.:)