87 gn powered CHEVETTE need wiring help PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ttaowner

about 20 years ago my cousin and i kicked around the idea of a sbc chevette and since then i have always wanted to do something with one of these cars. they weigh about 2000-2200 pounds which is nothing.

well i know more now than i did 20 years ago and i now want to put a 87 intercooled engine in. i believe the 200r4 will bolt right in since the car currently has a 200c in it. i realize the 7.5 rear wont make it so i am already figuring on taking a 8.5 and making it fit.

v6 engines and sbc have been swapped in these cars before and from what i read hooker even used to make a kit to put a buick v6 in one. my only real foreseeable hurdle is wiring up the car to make the engine work. i already have the correct harness and relays ecm ETC... for the engine but how do you make the harness work with the dash harness? i know caspers makes a $800 stand alone harness but i really prefer not to go that route.

any help or links would be appreciated

For wiring a Chevette I would start with about 50 ft. of primacord or cordtex...........:D

J/J.....:D.

little update here. i picked up the car on friday and started yanking the engine and tranny on saturday and finished up on sunday and it was super easy only a couple hours in total.

i just dropped a engine and tranny that i had laying around and bolted toghther in just to look for potential problem areas and i ran out of time so i have more looking into things before it is going to be anywhere close to where it needs to be.

overall length of both engines is about 24" from back of block to fan on the 4cyl and the water pump on the v6. the intercooler will obviously add some length to the engine but i removed a fan shroud from the 4 cyl and will probably put a electric fan behind the grille but in front of the radiator and things should fit.

motor mounts will need to be fabbed up along with a tranny crossmember and perhaps linkage and a ear on the tranny bell housing may have to be trimmed due to interference with steering shaft.

chevette.jpg

chevette1.jpg

chevette2.jpg

You really need to upload the pics to the board James rather than photophucket.;) If someone else wants to do this then the pics and info will still exist as long as the board does.:)

As far as the wiring is concerned all you need is the engine harness. schematics are available from many sources. but basically all you need to achieve is power to the harness (positive) and provide a good ground (very important). The chevette body harness won't change much. Lights, radio, will pretty stay as stock. without going into detail the schematics, you'll see where ignition switch needs to connect to Gn's harness to light it up. My 87 GN motor went into a 75 Vega (tube frame though) nothing stock. By the way the Buick v-6 was factory installed into the Monza.

You are a sick,twisted fellow. I LOVE IT!! If you pull this off you can really embarrass people.Vega v-6 is right about one being factory installed(na),its just a question of schematics and taking your time

To anyone doing a Gn transplant, buy the GN book by Peter Hoffman. This book covers all the wiring diagrams, sensor identification, part numbers and about anything you need to know about the 87 GNs. This book will save you alot of blood sweat and tears and if i remember it was only about $20. FYI