87 gn valve cover gaskets

javi05

well i have an 87 gn. with about 34k original miles documented.. seems to be leaking from the valve covers is there any special things i should look for when replacing them..? i tried to tighten them some to no avail.. leaks still.. what kind should i buy, is there a kit with grommets etc? let me know.. thanks.. and i tried to do a search to no avail so please no dumb answers.. this is my first post.. im known on the camaro sites. i own a 14ss 1le.. so dont beat me up to bad... BOOST!!!! thanks

Many will have different comments on using what type of gasket they used, and I used Victor Reinz VS397663TC Valve Cover Gasket Set
This gasket is cork, sandwich between a thin metal; Summit also has these in rubber but I don't know how well rubber seals, maybe one day I will get them and try them out.
I found on my heads, which is not mill flat, it has a rounded rough edge and using this Victor Reinz gasket it forms on the heads giving it a more seal, and no leaks.
Here are couple of sites to choice from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-VS39...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e59c51d9&vxp=mtr

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Reinz-...&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

Attachments

• Victor Reinz Valve Cover Gasket Full View #VS39763TC.JPG
    Victor Reinz Valve Cover Gasket Full View #VS39763TC.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Victor Reinz Valve Cover Gasket  CLOSE UP#VS39763TC.JPG
    Victor Reinz Valve Cover Gasket CLOSE UP#VS39763TC.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 201
thanks.. seems like i will buy those.. what about the bolts. being an original car.. the last person that tried to fix this i dont think used the correct bolts.. i might be wrong.. what do they look like ..? thanks

I forgot to mention to you that you might need to do very little trim on those valve cover gasket, and then again not every cover fits the same so it might fit.

As far as the bolts, I don't have the correct length and the one on EBay has them as S/S, but personally way too pricey. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Direct-Repl...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f38289dae&vxp=mtr

It looks like one can remove the original bolts measure them and then cut and roll pin the nuts to look like the original ones. That looks like another project list for me

You also might want to PM earlbrown

Felpro PermaDryPlus VS50156T used here .... recommended by Otto.... no leaks ! $18.97 at summit.

WOW, Felpro PermaDryPlus finally went down in price, many years ago when I replaced my valve cover gasket, Felpro PermaDryPlus was very pricey and Victor Reinz gasket was price cheap as Felpro is now.
You still need to trim the Felpro gasket also, and don't over tighten the bolts, once the engine is heated go around and tighten the bolts again.
I used RTV on the valve cover only, and not on the heads as maybe you might want to remove the valve cover and reuse the valve cover gasket again.

As far as the bolts, I don't have the correct length and the one on EBay has them as S/S, but personally way too pricey. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Direct-Repl...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f38289dae&vxp=mtr

It looks like one can remove the original bolts measure them and then cut and roll pin the nuts to look like the original ones. That looks like another project list for me

You also might want to PM earlbrown

I looked at doing a set like that at one time (only with quality materials, not cheep chinese parts) and it was just too expensive. Even if that guy is starting with crap, he probably isn't making much after Ebay and paypal take their 13%.

I was going to go ahead and do it anyway but since I like socket head bolts, I like the idea of only needing one tool to pull the VC's, not three.

Plus I hate how the factory stuck the solenoid way up in the air like a tuning fork. lol

Here's the original bolts... and what I used. They're 2 1/2 long in case you can't read it because the bag is torn.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1403875001514.jpg
    1403875001514.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 179
You might want to consider something a little nicer than 8 bolts made in China that are supposedly grade 5. I wouldn't even risk a verified grade 5 if I didn't have to.
If the threaded portion ever snaps off in the head, you really don't want to be drilling there. ESP if it's on the intake side of the head.

Like I said before, nice project work, buy a 1/4x20 S/S threaded rod, 1/4x20x2.5 S/S cap screws, S/S nuts and some roll pins, and make the bolts yourself.

or just use plain ole bolts. Most of the wiring conduits holes are stripped out by now and the solenoid doesn't have to be up on a pedestal.

that kind of thinking is what allowed women to drive cars and use the internet...

Next thing you know, they can vote. :D

Jimmymack and I just put the PermaDry's on my car, they work like a champ. No sealant was used, we just made sure both surfaces were clean. Picked them up from Advanced for $26 or so and not having to jack around with sealant makes them well worth it. Also, being able to reuse them and not having to scrape RTV off makes them worth it to me also.

Regards,
John

When I ran the VS50156R on my stock heads I would occasionally get a leak at the back of the head. After switching to a set of heads with the valve cover rail milled down I no longer have an issue. Think these were like $9 at Rockauto or something like that.

Felpro perma dry now for 4 years with no leaks, no sealant and the covers are often off and they are reused. The metal will have to be trimmed a little on the corners with stock covers. The TA covers seem to have enough room to not trim them but mine were already trimmed when I switched covers.

i used felpro gaskets.. i only did the side for now that was leaking like crazy.. i wont even begin to tell you guys what i found when i pulled the cover.. who ever put these on last folded the rear part of the gasket (most important) over to where the gasket wasnt even cover the rear part of the head at all. so oil would just pour out.. got it to stop now to do the pass side.. and i should leak down to a minimum.. lol..