88 Monte SS 2004R

john keskes

Guys, i'd rather run this question here since you guys are are a great resource. I have a chance to pickup this tranny for $100 that includes the converter. The seller got it from a parts car that had a Big Block from a guy that owed him $$. anyway he's got no idea of the internal condition & if any issues. Anyway, how does this tranny compare to the GN's ? i'm going to assume that it's internals are stock & perhaps shot but i can't pass up the price. I will most likely keep as a spare.

Pull the pan and check the valve body for the cz in paint. 2004r cores are apparently getting scarce. Is pick it up either way but w/o the cz vb, I'd negotiate down if you can.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The valve body n governor. Then depending on the year would determine the upgrades from the factory, later would have more.
Tail tag would tell us when it was produced.

thanks Rich. great info for a beginner !:)
I'm surely no expert but have done a lot of study. Any questions you have post em up. If I can't answer there are real knowledgeable people here who can.
I do know that hard pump rings, hard stator support and a hardened sun shell are requirements to be replaced when overhauled.
Then a kit with larger boost valves and quality clutches would be next on my list.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I picked the tranny up last night. Good News : i only payed $100 for it. Bad News : The Metal ID tag at the tail shaft says CH F . This is a stock, for a V6 motor i believe. My question : I can still get this thing upgraded to handle 400 - 500 Hp for the long haul right? o_O

I picked the tranny up last night. Good News : i only payed $100 for it. Bad News : The Metal ID tag at the tail shaft says CH F . This is a stock, for a V6 motor i believe. My question : I can still get this thing upgraded to handle 400 - 500 Hp for the long haul right? o_O
Should be able to upgrade it, but the shift characteristics might not be ideal and need some "adjustment" .