9.19 @ 145.5 For The Alky Car

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
This years WCN was the weekend that I finally got a major bug worked out of the fuel delivery system. The same day, I was also rewarded with an all time best for the car. The car never ceases to surprise me. The 60 foot amazed me too.

RT: .033
60 ft: 1.305
330: 3.766
660: 5.837
MPH: 117.551
990: 7.599
1320: 9.191
MPH: 145.491

224 CID
Turbonetics T76, Q trim, .82 a/r

From the beginning of the concept of this latest engine, I had calculated that this new engine would surpass the performance of the last engine if I could get 30 psi boost out of the setup. I was right on. It took a few years and some tests of my nerves, but it was worth it. I'm finally at a good baseline where I can start playing with different things to improve on it.

There's more still in it boys.

Don,
Congratulations. That is getting the most out of that turbo. Excellent 60 and eighth mile times also.
Jeff

Thanks guys. It's been a long time coming to get to this point.

The race weight is 3200 lbs. with me in it. That's a guesstimate.
The last time I weighed her with me in it was with the stock doors. That was 3337 lbs. The stock doors weigh 100 lbs. each! The new doors are around 27 or 28 lbs. including hardware.

My short term goal is to peek into the 8s with the T76. Maybe if I can squeeze just one more pound out of her.

Oh! Just a short tuning note. Now that the engine is dialed in closer, the nitrous is on for approximately .4 to .5 seconds to reach its shut off point of 16 psi boost pressure. Much better than the 1 second I was seeing with earlier test runs. This is with the nitrous retard at a very conservative level (de-tuned). With 2 to 4 degrees more advance during nitrous activation, I could be in real trouble. The last time I tried that ign retard strategy with the nitrous I had big traction issues.

If you don't mind me asking what's your build up?

I have a pretty detailed explanation of the car on the 9.28 @ 147 thread in this section. Page 3.

And, by the way. I'm not known for keeping speed secrets very well. If anyone has any questions on the car, feel free to ask. I'm eager to share.

that is a great attitude to have!!! seriously...not to take away from anyone's hard work in tuning, i just think its great for someone who will share their tuning experiences combo and whatever.....just wanted to say thanks...joel great run by the way congrats!!!

DOn hows the convertor in that car?
Thats awful quick for the speed.
At 9.1 the car should be running way closer to 150
Congrats on the new best!

DOn hows the convertor in that car?
Thats awful quick for the speed.
At 9.1 the car should be running way closer to 150
Congrats on the new best!

I have a lot of data to work over from the weekend. I wish I could have kept her straighter and out of the pebbles. That might have slowed things down a tad. As soon as I think I have a real world T/C slip number, I'll post it for you. Frankly, I don't think I want the T/C working any harder at the launch in particular. She's on the edge as it is. If I need more, play with the nitrous activation point. How cool is that. I don't have to play with my T/C.

Initial quick looks at the data show T/C stall at 0 boost 2400 rpm. After nitrous activation on the second amber (by going WOT) and still on the transbrake she shoots to about 4300 to 4400 rpm, which is when it's time to release the transbrake. The neat thing is, I could set up a delay that I can play with to activate the nitrous anytime after the first amber (going WOT on the first amber), maximizing my launch and finding the limits of traction with my setup. All with a little programming of a little delay box. No T/C worries except for coupling efficiency on the top end.

Otto. Just take the nitrous tuning in very slow steps. Can't get much tuning done if she's down for a rebuild. You should share some of your experiences. I heard they're pretty good ones.

that is a great attitude to have!!! seriously...not to take away from anyone's hard work in tuning, i just think its great for someone who will share their tuning experiences combo and whatever.....just wanted to say thanks...joel great run by the way congrats!!!

Thanks. Just trying to advance the boudaries of the Buick V6. If I can help others in some way from my experiences, it just steps up our image at the track. More people then maybe get bit by the Buick bug.

nonosV6? Shouldn't that be nosonthewayV6?

Thanks guys. It's been a long time coming to get to this point.

The race weight is 3200 lbs. with me in it. That's a guesstimate.
The last time I weighed her with me in it was with the stock doors. That was 3337 lbs. The stock doors weigh 100 lbs. each! The new doors are around 27 or 28 lbs. including hardware.

My short term goal is to peek into the 8s with the T76. Maybe if I can squeeze just one more pound out of her.

Oh! Just a short tuning note. Now that the engine is dialed in closer, the nitrous is on for approximately .4 to .5 seconds to reach its shut off point of 16 psi boost pressure. Much better than the 1 second I was seeing with earlier test runs. This is with the nitrous retard at a very conservative level (de-tuned). With 2 to 4 degrees more advance during nitrous activation, I could be in real trouble. The last time I tried that ign retard strategy with the nitrous I had big traction issues.

We are only playing with a .027 jet in a single dry nozzle

Congrats Don! I'm glad I wasn't the only one with a questionable mph in relation to e.t. :biggrin:

Scott Wile

This years WCN was the weekend that I finally got a major bug worked out of the fuel delivery system. The same day, I was also rewarded with an all time best for the car. The car never ceases to surprise me. The 60 foot amazed me too.

RT: .033
60 ft: 1.305
330: 3.766
660: 5.837
MPH: 117.551
990: 7.599
1320: 9.191
MPH: 145.491

224 CID
Turbonetics T76, Q trim, .82 a/r

From the beginning of the concept of this latest engine, I had calculated that this new engine would surpass the performance of the last engine if I could get 30 psi boost out of the setup. I was right on. It took a few years and some tests of my nerves, but it was worth it. I'm finally at a good baseline where I can start playing with different things to improve on it.

There's more still in it boys.

HEY Don, I saw you out there this weekend. I was with my son right before your last run. Would have been running with you guys in "fear" but had a little fire last week, that put things on hold for a few weeks. Your car was dead hooking with little drama:eek: The NOS is working great on the transbreak, dam thing spooled almost like a carb'd car, could hardly hear it:cool: I run a 125 shot for spooling mine, its fast, but not as fast a spool as yours, probably due to the shot. Good runs man, nice car and set up. Next time, we will see each other in some rounds for the stage class:smile:

Congrats Don! I'm glad I wasn't the only one with a questionable mph in relation to e.t. :biggrin:

Scott Wile

Yeah. At least my 60 foot wasn't 0.3. :eek: That's a fast truck you have there Scott. I have a vid of that run too.

HEY Don, I saw you out there this weekend. I was with my son right before your last run. Would have been running with you guys in "fear" but had a little fire last week, that put things on hold for a few weeks. Your car was dead hooking with little drama:eek: The NOS is working great on the transbreak, dam thing spooled almost like a carb'd car, could hardly hear it:cool: I run a 125 shot for spooling mine, its fast, but not as fast a spool as yours, probably due to the shot. Good runs man, nice car and set up. Next time, we will see each other in some rounds for the stage class:smile:

Good to see someone else using nitrous too. It is the answer.

I was looking at your sig. With the nitrous assist, do you still need that much stall speed?