9.68 @141mph with a 1.27 60'!!! *Video*

Originally posted by GNVAIR
I wonder how many passes they get with a gear box :eek:
Those T56's are made of glass!!

I don't know if the 4th gen LT1/LS1 F-bodies have the same T56 as the Viper, but there are several Vipers I know of that run very low 10's to high 9's @150+mph with a T56 6spd and keep in mind these cars are making about 1000rwhp!!!:eek: I've also seen a few big cube (422ci) LS1 Vettes with nitrous running mid to high 9's @145+mph with a T56 6spd, but again I don't know if they are any different from the one that comes in the F-body?? Either way those kind of times are really impressive with a stick!!!

I'm not much of a stick man though.... I like to just put it in drive and drink a glass of water while I'm making a pass:D ;)

I'll take an auto over a stick any day, but that's just me....

Why is that everyone assumes that they are running a factory stock T56? It is like assuming a 9 second Turbo Buick is running a factory spec 200-4R. They are HEAVILY modified units.

Do the words: "cryogenic treatment" mean anything to you?

Originally posted by Mr. T
Why is that everyone assumes that they are running a factory stock T56? It is like assuming a 9 second Turbo Buick is running a factory spec 200-4R. They are HEAVILY modified units.

Do the words: "cryogenic treatment" mean anything to you?

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/FeatureCars/Tanner.htm
Well according to the site he is using a "Stock T56 W/ Mcleod Street Twin Dual Disc Clutch", but I'm sure it is modified to take the abuse of more than 600hp at the rear wheels.... I never assumed is was stock, but even if it is modified that is a lot of power for a T56 although as I said I've seen Vipers and Vettes make more power with a T56 6spd!!!

Guess they are pretty strong, but at that power level I'm sure a good old TH-400 or 2spd PG would hold up much better....

Taner is a friend of mine.. in fact he drove the car from windsor over to here to hang out on saturday with jasond , chrisfrez and myself..

Its a stock t56 with a few upgraded parts, and a twin disk..
he has quite a few passes on the car with the 6-speed. it's holding up fine.

The car has a 300 shot of spray, and it quiet and tame enough to drive on the street.. with the cutout open it sounds sweet.. :)

that was the shake down n20 runs.. goin to add another 50hp of spray and tweak the suspension (there is a lot left!!) looking for some 1.20 - 1.23 60's

As it stands, he's the fastest 6-speed lt1 f-body in the country.. err rather in canada and the us!

The Viper box uses a 30 spline output shaft vs. the 27 spline output the F body T56 uses. The extra splines/diameter are so desperately needed on high power cars. Other differences are the Vipers uses cast iron shifter forks vs. aluminum in the F bodies. The gear sets are basically the same as far as alloys and heat treats go.
The T56 is nice in 12 second or slower cars, but when turning up the wick, its only a matter of time before something breaks. I have rebuilt quite a few busted ones around here. Some broke in 12 and 13 second cars. Most common failures I have seen are broken shift keys (since they are only stamped steel), broken output shafts (was from a low 11 second car), broken shift forks (2-3 usually) and other assorted broken cluster gears. The Vette boxes usually suffer from the shift key and fork failures since the shifter is mounted to the torque tube. It is very common for the Vette guys to break their T56.
Having a performance car with a T56 can get really expensive real fast. Keith Mease can tell you that one first hand as he has plenty of broken ones including one where the case let go.

lmao! thanks Dave!

cryogenic freezing is right! i broke the output shaft but that was after a ton, of racing. funny thing is i broke it on motor, i snapped clean off... doh! so i froze a few rotating parts and she has been good so far.

went out for cruise night tonight but it started raining.

A Centerforce clutch is holding up to that abuse? I heard the way to go was either a RAM or McCleod clutch..... Can you detail the mods to the T56 you have done and where to get the parts?

What flexplate are you running?

Are you running splayed 4 bolt billet main caps? I plan to build an LT1 down the line for similar abuse like you are throwing at it.

-GNX7

no no Mcleod street twin, with steel flywheel!

D&D transmission in michigan, only thing i actually upgraded was the 3/4 shift fork, rest was frozen in windsor ontario.