9-inch rear: drum-to-drum g-body kits (Strange, Moser, etc...) fit w/o fabbing?

DSC01128.jpg

DSC01129.jpg

DSC01132.jpg

drop in bleed brakes and drive:D

Richie, thats beautiful! Where do I get one and how much?

Rick

Dwayne at a certain performance level I am not sure the 8.5 gears will live.
Most of us won't get there though!

OC ,here on the board, is still launching of the t-brake in his TSO car on his 10 bolt as well as many others.....it just seems like an unnecessary expenditure unless you are going to tub the car...............and let me know when somebody sells their rear-end for a 1000.00 $

Here ya go.

Hi Scott,

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but what rear springs are you using. I have a Moser 9 inch in mine and when I have the car up on the frame hoist, my diff drops down and the stock springs fall out of their seats. I had to have some spacers made. Otherwise it's a direct bolt in.

I don't know how to post pics on this forum but I can e-mail to anyone if they'd like.

George

Those are standard 2.5" id coil over springs. QA1 is the brand. It's a trick I learned over at maliburacing.com. They really open up your choices on height and spring rate.
Most aftermarket 9" housings have extended spring perches on the axle tubes so there's no worries with the spring falling out.

Those are standard 2.5" id coil over springs. QA1 is the brand. It's a trick I learned over at maliburacing.com. They really open up your choices on height and spring rate.
Most aftermarket 9" housings have extended spring perches on the axle tubes so there's no worries with the spring falling out.

Thanks Scott,

I had to have billet spacers built because every time I'd jack the car up with the wheels hanging down, the springs would come out of the "top" spring perches. It's fine right now with the spacers but my car sits about 1 1/2 inches too high or higher than I want it.

I need a longer spring than stock ( fully extended ) by about 2" with the correct spring rate, to stay in place when jacking the car up by the frame. I had heard of the QA1 coil overs being used but the ones I checked on were the stock length. 13 inches I believe.

I will persue maliburacing.com. Thanks for the tip.:)

George

Mine are 12" 170 lbs.
There is definitely a 3-4" gap on top when the car is jacked up. But I don't have any issues with them falling out or not seating correctly when the jack is lowered.

Bolt In 9"...

I did a Moser M-9 Bolt In Upgrade...Everything bolted up fine. The width and backspace on wheels worked out great, fit just like the stock rearend. I have a backbrace, 35 Spline Axles and 5/8" Studs. Over Kill for my combination but I got a deal on complete unit. I added a Strange Aluminum center section with a Detroit Locker and Wilwood Disc. I also changed the stock driveshaft in for a Aluminum Unit during the change. Definitely a nice upgrade for our GN's...

04-28-08001.jpg

04-28-08002.jpg

05-19-08005.jpg

05-19-08011.jpg

05-19-08008.jpg

Mine are 12" 170 lbs.
There is definitely a 3-4" gap on top when the car is jacked up. But I don't have any issues with them falling out or not seating correctly when the jack is lowered.

Scott,

I looked on the maliburacing.com website and found a moog spring part # 5391 which has a free height of 15.4 inches. My stock springs are 14 inches free height. I believe these might be a station wagon spring. They are stiffer but they give me the extra free height that I need to give some preload on the spring seats. I'm not sure what they'll do to ride height though. :confused:

George

I did a Moser M-9 Bolt In Upgrade...Everything bolted up fine. The width and backspace on wheels worked out great, fit just like the stock rearend. I have a backbrace, 35 Spline Axles and 5/8" Studs. Over Kill for my combination but I got a deal on complete unit. I added a Strange Aluminum center section with a Detroit Locker and Wilwood Disc. I also changed the stock driveshaft in for a Aluminum Unit during the change. Definitely a nice upgrade for our GN's...

Don't take this the wrong way, but that is the nicest rear end I have seen
in a while...:eek:

Scott,

I looked on the maliburacing.com website and found a moog spring part # 5391 which has a free height of 15.4 inches. My stock springs are 14 inches free height. I believe these might be a station wagon spring. They are stiffer but they give me the extra free height that I need to give some preload on the spring seats. I'm not sure what they'll do to ride height though. :confused:

George

George. Try a 14" 130# spring for starters. These QA1's are cheap and if they are not what you need, you can return them and get something else. I run the 14" 130 on my car but I have seen a few with 14" 110-120 to get the ride height correct.

You would have to run a very tall spring with a light rating to achieve what you are looking for. If that's your ultimate goal then look into a 16" spring with a 90# rating or so. You can even call QA1 and they can direct you to what your looking for. They can better advise you on if that spring will work or if the rate will be to light.

My opinion is you need the correct spring height to match shock travel which is usually a 14" spring unless you get custom shocks. The shocks should be disconnected from the rear when you jack the car up like you describe anyway and you shouldn't expect the spring to stay in place. I know it's a pain the get everything back into position but the proper spring for your set-up at ride height is much more important than the spring staying in place when the rear is dropped out of position. The lower the ride height, the happier the suspension is and the better it drives.

George. Try a 14" 130# spring for starters. These QA1's are cheap and if they are not what you need, you can return them and get something else. I run the 14" 130 on my car but I have seen a few with 14" 110-120 to get the ride height correct.

You would have to run a very tall spring with a light rating to achieve what you are looking for. If that's your ultimate goal then look into a 16" spring with a 90# rating or so. You can even call QA1 and they can direct you to what your looking for. They can better advise you on if that spring will work or if the rate will be to light.

My opinion is you need the correct spring height to match shock travel which is usually a 14" spring unless you get custom shocks. The shocks should be disconnected from the rear when you jack the car up like you describe anyway and you shouldn't expect the spring to stay in place. I know it's a pain the get everything back into position but the proper spring for your set-up at ride height is much more important than the spring staying in place when the rear is dropped out of position. The lower the ride height, the happier the suspension is and the better it drives.

Dusty,

Thanks for chiming in here. I very much appreciate your knowledge and experience.

I looked on the QA1 website but couldn't see any of the spring lengths that you mentioned, so I didn't think they were available. I'll call them tomorrow and talk with their tech person. Hopefully they'll be able to help me choose what I need.

I'd like to get my car a lot lower than it is. I have the standard style QA1 shocks on the car now. In retrospect, I should have gone for the coil overs. I could have adjusted my ride height at will.

George

jevans, could I get some info on that too? I'm going to need to do something soon. TIA

Rick