A blown big block.

toomanymodz

Soooo, I was over at a neighbor/friend's house helping him with an electrical gremlin when he looked over at his shiny 1969 Firebird parked in the driveway and said "Well, I think I'm gonna head up the road... which way you goin?". I replied, "Wherever you're going". So he fired up the engine to warm it up. We're talking a blown 454 Chevy big block, TH400, Fab-9 rear, fenderwell headers etc.

Before we leave, he says "Now, I'll let you get the jump and I'll just come around you". I just said "fine" and kept my comments to myself.

We take a drive up the road to a good 4 lane divided and make our turn onto the runway. He's cruising at about 30 MPH and waiting for me. I figured I'd come up beside him first, but nope, he hammers it right away.

My car doesn't hook for nothing at such a low speed, so the Nitto's were spinning and spinning. I got out of the throttle and gave it about 1/2 throttle and they spun some more. I'm maintaining, not gaining but not losing ground either. By this time we're at about 90 and I shift into Drive. The tires finally bite and I blow past him like he's in reverse. I take it up to a quick 145 or so and back her down.

I wait for him at a turn-around and he arrives, clicks-off his engine and said. "Good lord that thing is fast. I have never lost a race in this car before and you went by me like I was standing still. A whole 'nother league". We drove back to his house and he shook his head and said "the next car I build is gonna be a turbo car".

Feels good, doesn't it?

I have a buddy with a blown, dual quad 427 in a '67 Biscayne. I've walked him more than a couple of times as we were headed for a weekly local show-n-shine. He's finally stopped trying.....:D

Nice kill!

Very nice kill.

What are the specs on your car?

HP?

D
I haven't been to the dyno since I swapped the exhaust housing (was having some backpressure issues), so I really don't know what kind of power it's making now. 600RWHP is my estimate. It's 4.6 liters, T/A aluminum block, solid roller etc. The car needs a cage before I go to the track. My stock 109 block ran 10.60's and this bullet is a whole lot quicker.

How's the 6466 doing on the ta motor? Is it keeping up or is it not enough turbo?

One word of caution..........

I'm all for safety, but make sure there will still be a local track near you 1, 2, or 3 years from now before you cut the car up to put a bar in it.

They seem to be disappearing so quickly these days........... :(

Jus' sayin'.

How's the 6466 doing on the ta motor? Is it keeping up or is it not enough turbo?
It's really difficult to say, but I think it's probably on the small side. I swapped out the .63 A/R for an .85 and it didn't hurt the spool-up at all. The engine pulls hard to 6500 now. In second gear, the boost begins at 20psi and as the RPMs increase, the boost falls down to 17. When I shift into Drive, the boost begins at 22psi and eventually falls down to about 19psi. It seems the boost falls off at a quicker rate after about 5700 rpm.

I'd like to experiment and remove the pressure line from the actuator altogether and see if I can get anything more than the 20-22 psi that I'm getting now. And perhaps wire it shut just in case the puck (internal wastegate) is getting blown open.

I really don't want to cage the car. Welding some angle-iron along the C-channel could be my next move.