A/C guru's I have some questions

Chuck

Guys,

I'm redoing my entire A/C and want to do it right and was wondering if there were more efficient parts available now such as the condensor and compressor. My stock condensor is in good condition but its over 14 years old. Should I get a GM compressor or a remand. unit from AutoZone?

Hi,

go to gnttype.org and then the Tech section, I saw a good article on redoing the A/C with R-134a if that is your direction. I will be doing it to mine someday.

Bill

IMO, if your compressor needs replacing, get a new GM unit. I have had poor results with various brands of rebuilts on GM cars. The only thing worse than doing a job, is to do it over and over because of bad parts. If you can't get a good price at your location, surf the web for new GM compressors. The difference in price may be less than you think.

Heard the newer, smaller, lighter S-10 compressors were popular for retro-fit replacements.

Might be worth investigating.

HTH :)

I wouldn't consider 134a, I'd go with the newer r12 replacement.

'd also consider looking into at least reducing the size of the A/C box for more room under the hood. I've heard of some under dash aftermarket "hot rod" units, but I'd have to look at them more closely before making a decision.

Check out the forum at www.aircondition.com if you need more help. Their advice, which I wish I saw BEFORE I bought a Four Seizens compressor, is to stay away from basically all rebuilt compressors. Go with GM parts if you can (I'm not sure what's available anymore).

Jim

Originally posted by Two Lane
Heard the newer, smaller, lighter S-10 compressors were popular for retro-fit replacements.

Might be worth investigating.

HTH :)

Ohhh, tell me more! What part number and is it a direct fit?

Thanks!

I would strongly advise against a rebuilt compressor. Buy a new GM compressor (made by Delphi Automotive) AC Delco can be purchased at quite a few retail parts stores and AC Delco compressors are equivalent Delphi compressors.

I would not hesitate to use R-134A except for the hotest climates like Arizona, Texas or Florida. R-134A works fairly well in most climates. Follow GM's recommendations (and bulletins) and use PAG oil when you convert. R-134A leaks out faster, but it is cheap and can be topped off at the beginning of each season.

The seals in the new compressors are specifically made to be compatible with PAG. Stay away from Ester oils. And DON'T use ANY of those screwed up system sealers you see all over the shelves at the parts stores. They will turn your system internals to GOOOOOO. Every OEM has issued bulletins warning about this junk.

Dave